Thread: Acoustic to Electric or Roland kit?

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic to Electric or Roland kit?

As everyone knows on here, I LOVE my pearls, but as I was practicing today, no one home, I realized that with my daughter on the way, my wife will not be working, ect.. ect... my practice time is really going to be cut down to a minimum. I do use sound off pads when she is at home, but I really don't like to play my drums with those on. I want to hear the drums, feel the music and inspire me to play. It's hard with the sound offs. I have been doing research about converting my kit over to an e-kit and by the time I buy everything needed ect.. ect.. I could have just bought a nice Entry level roland kit. I don't know what to do..

I went to the local music store today and played a Roland TD-9 kit for a while and actually really enjoyed it. It had all mesh heads, so the feel was great, and the sound was supurb. I am still weighing out my options, but this seems like it might be the route to go.

The TD-4 kit seems to be good too, just with less options on the brain. I really wanted to play something with the rubber style heads, just to see what they sound like, but nothing was available. But I was thinking that the cheapest TD4 kit, with the rubber heads, maybe I could save up, get one of those for practice and keep my Acoustics for the times that I would get to play them, and if I ever get into a band ect. ect.. Anyone know if you can add more stuff to a TD4 module?

What are your all's opinions on this situation? Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic to Electric or Roland kit?

I have the TD-9 with rubber toms.

I really thought about getting a TD-4, but liked the extra features on the TD-9, and the internal sound library is a little larger too.

You can either add, or upgrade TD-4 triggers/pads. Add a VH-11 and get a real hi-hat stand, or Add a CY12 R/C and get a bell on your ride cymbal.

You'll need some decent headphones, and/or an amp. I use an Alesis transactive PA. It was about $200.

If the pricing is still the same, a TD-4 is $1000, and a TD-9 is $1250.

For the extra money, the TD-9 has a lot more features and is still a bargain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jajo View Post
    I have the TD-9 with rubber toms.

I really thought about getting a TD-4, but liked the extra features on the TD-9, and the internal sound library is a little larger too.

You can either add, or upgrade TD-4 triggers/pads. Add a VH-11 and get a real hi-hat stand, or Add a CY12 R/C and get a bell on your ride cymbal.

You'll need some decent headphones, and/or an amp. I use an Alesis transactive PA. It was about $200.

If the pricing is still the same, a TD-4 is $1000, and a TD-9 is $1250.

For the extra money, the TD-9 has a lot more features and is still a bargain.
    This is something I have definately been considering also was the TD-9 with the rubber pads. I love all the options, sounds ect.. that it has over the TD-4 and it dosn't really cost that much more, but knowing myself and how I am I would eventually upgrade to all mesh heads, CY12 ride and a VH11 hi-hat, basically to what the TD-9sx already comes with. I am just trying to figure out how much it would cost to get the TD-9 and upgrade, or just buy the SX. It could be alot cheaper down the road, to just get it first.

Since I didn't get to play anything with rubber pads, how loud are they to strike? I would assume they are probably about like GHWT drums, but I may be wrong. I know the mesh was super quite, had really good stick response and I loved it right off the bat.

I used to be really against ever playing E-drums, until I heard the TD-9, it is about as close to an acoustic kit as I have ever heard. That would be the main thing I would worry about with an E-kit, the acoustic sounds which sound outstanding on this, but even the off the wall sounds this thing has sounds great so that's a plus also. I could have so much fun with one of these. One of my friends asked me what I would do if the electricity went out, I told him the same thing the guitar, bass player and singer would do. I am really starting to believe that this thing has finally stepped up to the plate and is bringing the same thing to drumming that the Electric guitar brought to string'd instruments. The possibilities are endless. We will see what happens. Here is a video of the New TD9sx in action.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJFbrRoDuQ"]YouTube - Roland TD-9SX NAMM Booth Demo[/ame]

User Info Menu

There are 3 more mesh pads on the TD-9 SX than on the TD-9 S/K. One is a 10 inch snare.

That's the only difference. But, the cost is over $1000 more.

And, once you get the TD-9 SX, you will want an CY12 CR, and a VH-11.

These are the Crash/ride with bell triggering, and the more acoustic-like high hat. These two upgrades, new, will cost about $700.

Since you have a full acoustic kit already, and the plan is to get an e-kit for practice, then I'd go for the less expensive TD-9 S/K. Then, get the CY12 right away, and try it with the standard hi-hat pedal before upgrading.

PS. The rubber tom pads are very quiet. When I wear my headphones, my wife can't head me playing from the room next door.

User Info Menu

I am pretty sure the TD9sx comes with a cy12 ride already, and 1 pd105 snare, and 3 pd85 for toms, which is completly different pads all together, but the difference in price from what I found is 1295 for the TD9s, and 2699 for the td9sx, that's 1400 dollars! wow. My main concern was the noise level of the rubber pads, but I'll take your word for it that they are quiet. Yes this would pretty much be for practice only, but videos make it look so fun to play, I might not want to play my acoustics but outside the house anymore, haha, so it should be great for what I want.

User Info Menu

Actually I just added it up online, the roland td9s, 1 pd105, 3 pd85 pads, 1 cy12 ride. That would make the td9 a td9sx. All that is 10 bucks cheaper than the TD9sx to begin with. On top of that, I would have an extra cymbal to use, and 4 pads to either find a way to use or sell on fleabay, to get money back, better deal all together!

User Info Menu

I use 3 cymbals and everything else on my kit is standard, so far. So, the path to upgrading the TD-9 becomes even easier than simply buying the more expensive kit outright.

I've had other people tell that it's cheaper to upgrade the TD-9S than to buy the SX. I've never been sure, but will trust their word on it.

Having some extra pads/triggers is a good thing. You will eventually want 3 cymbals anyway.

My idea is to get 2 of the mesh 8 inch heads for my 'down' toms; keep the rubber pads for the upper toms. Maybe even go for a 1 up 2 down style with another mesh head and a rubber pad up top as a cowbell.