Hi all,

I've been playing guitar and bass for years, but have always fancied learning the drums. So recently I've decided to get an Electronic Kit, as the aforementioned instruments already make enough noise for my neighbours at the moment!

I'm strongly considering the following kits at the moment;

Alesis DM5 Pro (with Surge Cymbals)

DD506 (Black Mamba/Session Pro/Millennium/Simmonds)

Both kits are very similar in price, with starter packages around the £450 mark. At the moment that's all I want to spend, so please don't tell me to save up and get a Roland. I could probably stretch to the HD-1 model but it looks far too basic for the price.

The two kits I've mentioned seem to be the best entry level kits in my budget.

The DD506 kit has a few more features like chokable cymbals, a USB port and it's also a bit quieter.

However from what I've been told the Alesis has a much more realistic feel, thanks to the real drum heads and real cymbals, another plus is that you can use regular mesh heads without the need for any DIY - which can't be said for the DD506.

The module on the DD506 is a lot better than the now dated DM5 module, but I'll be plugging it into my PC via midi anyway and using VST software instead.

In a few months when I have more money I could looking into upgrading the module, perhaps going for the Alesis Trigger IO or the newer DM10 module.

But yeah, if I have missed anything - if there are any other kits I should be considering at this price range then do let me know.

Also peoples opinions/experiences with these two kits would be much appreciated!