Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new drummer advise

User Info Menu

Exclamation new drummer advise

i need to learn the notes of the drum set fast... how is the easy way to learn i know already how to hold them out and stuff but i just need to learn so please help got any popular songs with drum beats in them that u could send me?
    Last edited by newdrummer; 02-21-2007 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

First, let me say, welcome to the forums newdrummer.

I don't really understand what you're trying to ask, do you just want some basic drum sheet music to learn or what?

Secondly, please use punctuation and proper sentence structure. It makes it a lot easier for us to properly understand what you're asking. No offence.

Here's a couple places to get you started though:
    40 Essential Rudiments
    A Bunch Of Drum Lessons on Drumbum.com
    411 Drums - More lessons and stuff to help you out.

Hope that helps man,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Default Thanks

Hey thanks that really helped me alot. Another thing im new so sorry about the grammer mastakes i will try my best to fix them, and what i was asking is were do i begin? I bought a drum set about 6 days ago, and need to know were to start. Any more suggestions?

User Info Menu

I'd really recommend getting some professional lessons to get you started. That'll teach you the basics and about drumming technique.

If you don't have the cash for those however, there's probably some good beginner drum books in your local music shop. Also, buy a metronome and use it when you practice. It'll help you to keep on tempo, and is a vital asset in your playing.

Also, learn how to read drum tablature and learn your favourite songs to keep you interested in drumming.

Don't forget to practice your rudiments too. There's a link in my signature to a bunch.

HB58
    Last edited by hellsbells58; 02-21-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hellsbells58
    I know alittle bit about drumming, and also im learning to be a band teacher, also my band teacher could teach me i just want other advise. so i know how to get my self started, well i know i wont be the best but i will try my hardest to do what i can about lessons. I take lesson now for guitar so that would be quite expensive. Another thing what do rudiments do for you?

could u tell me how to read music like the snare, toms, base drum and so on.... I dont want to learn tabs, because i think that is sorta cheating. so it would be nice if you could tell me how... thanks

User Info Menu

Here's that link to reading drum tablature. I don't think it's cheating, you get to learn songs that you like.

I'll post a bit later about how to read drum music in a bit. I think theres a lesson on that drumbum link I posted earlier.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

One of the best ways to get off the ground is to put on some headphones and play along with your favorite bands. Emulate what they do and try some of their fills. Then start experimenting. Create your own beats, fills, etc.

Have fun. Welcome to the group!

(Hells Bells, thanks for mentioning the sentence structure thing. I think a lot of people have gotten real lazy about this and it just makes it difficult for everyone.)

User Info Menu

Don't start out thinking that you're the best drummer alive, and then try and play along with stuff that is too far out of your reach. It makes you unmotivated.

That being said, don't use songs that are way too simplified (e.g. Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes). They bore you and don't challenge you in any way. I have a feeling I could teach that song to anyone who hasn't played drums before in about an hour.

Oh and drummer, no worries mate. Poor grammar, punctuation and sentence structure is a pet hate of mine. It's fine for text messaging and IM, but this is a forum, where you have time to add the little things that make it easier for everyone else to see your point.

I think a lot of people on here have started to ignore that, and in turn sometimes people won't bother to try to understand their post.

My 2 cents,
    HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the tips

User Info Menu

Cool new drummer advice

Hey, newdrummer! Welcome aboard!

HB58 has given you quite a few good tips to start with...

The rudiments are basic patterns (rolls, paradiddles, flams, ruffs, etc.) that are used in all types of drumming. Think of them as building blocks. You start simply and, as you master them, you learn the more complicated riffs.

Once you recognize them in the songs you're playing, as drummer suggested, you'll pick them up even faster and easier...

and definitely practice! That's how you start and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

To All...

Thanks for all your help! Im sure this will be the best place to get instant help. My band teacher told me today that the 5th single roll is the best thing to learn to get started is that true?
    Peace...

User Info Menu

idk if thats true

BUT YOU ARE RIGHT WHEN YOU SAY DRUMCHAT IS AMAZING!!!

WHOOOO
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Any body have any more advise?

Could someone possible send me some easy music to learn? That way i can at least get started...

User Info Menu

Does your band teacher mean the 5 stroke roll? It's kind of important, I wouldn't say the most important. I'd be more inclined to say the single stroke roll, double stroke roll and the paradiddle are more important.

As for simple music, what are your music tastes? So that we could recommend easy songs that will be fun for you to learn.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information...umm i think she means the 5 stroke roll

Ummm i am more into country or country rock. So if u have country that would be great...
    um i dont really know if u have the same music were your from tho...
    so any thing county would be nice...

Another thing can u get tabs off the internet , because mine say its illegal to download and print for free and stuff.
    Last edited by newdrummer; 02-27-2007 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newdrummer
    Another thing can u get tabs off the internet , because mine say its illegal to download fand print for free and stuff.
    drumbum tabs They have all the sites there that carry drumtabs
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Country? We don't have Country Music in Australia? LOL. As a matter of fact, you're talking to someone who lives in the "Country Music Capital". As much as that is shameful to admit.

Depends, I'd say Australian Country Music is a bit different to your American stuff. But look at songs from Keith Urban, Brookes & Dunn, Garth Brookes and John Mellencamp.

(Yes, I know a couple of those are American)

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Notice:

Due to recent controversy regarding the legality of free guitar tabs on the Internet, MXtabs is temporarily unable to display this guitar tablature. We hope to be able to offer guitar tabs again in the very near future.

See that is what it says on that web site and most of the other ones.. what should i do?

User Info Menu

Ya thos are the kind of music im looking for except the last band ive never herd of that band...
    so do u have any drum music from them?

User Info Menu

...I don't think you'd need tabs for country music...the drum parts aren't really that hard...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

welcome to the forums man.

let me say i also support drum lessons because it really helps to get tought by someone whos been drumming for 30 years.

secondly, i used to used mxtabs but "that" happened.

so now i go to this one www.911tabs.com

so of the sites are like the controversy thing but most arent. try it out.

and hells bells... australian country? i feel sick.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Thanks alot that is a web site i have been looking for...

still any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drum_Fiend
    australian country? i feel sick.
    What? I never said I liked it. Growing up in a town that is innundated with bogans, rednecks and hicks once a year generally makes you hate country music and all things country.

That being said, I still know country music artists. My dad listens to country music, so it's kinda hard to avoid.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

same here i hate country. considering i live in maine i'm surrounded by yokels.

User Info Menu

newdrummer. go to your nearest music store and buy a drum lessons book, then print off HellsBells rudiments ad finally buy a practice pad.

that should keep you preoccupied with drums for awhile.