Thread: Drums Disturbing the peace?

User Info Menu

Default Drums Disturbing the peace?

Apparently my neighbor thinks so. If I stop playing at 8:00 p.m. every night and practice in my garage will I get into trouble with authorities for disturbing the peace?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums Disturbing the peace?

depends on if your town has a noise ordinance.

User Info Menu

I'd call the local police station (the info desk, not the emergency line) and just ask. Tell them that you own a drum set and would like to know what are the acceptable days and times for playing. In my town I'm legally allowed to play up until 10:00 PM but I cut off at 8:00 PM just to be a nice guy.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

is the door closed in the garage when your playing?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

yeah i keep my door closed. and my neighbors have been cool with it since last december and now their wigging out and threatening to sue the owner of the house we rent at.

User Info Menu

Kolbarama, have you talked to them to see if there is a way to work it out? I would definitely call the local police to see what the town ordinances are, but after I knew that, I would still talk to the neighbors to see if something could be worked out. If they decide to just be mean about it, you could call your local police and tell them that you offered to work things out with the neighbors, but that they were unreasonable - tell them what they said. That way, if the neighbors call the police to complain (and they will have to if they ever intend to sue), the police will know that you had tried to be reasonable.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

How loud are your drums?

I put mutes on my toms and snare and it's in my upstairs bedroom and you don't really hear it until you get to the house. Best $40 or whatever that I've spent.

Of course, some people will complain just to complain because their lives are so empty and miserable. :(

User Info Menu

what PB said

I know I get a little defensive so I have to psyche myself up to deal with something like annoying neighbors being twitchy so I wait until I am in the right headspace to do it too.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbarama_90 View Post
    yeah i keep my door closed. and my neighbors have been cool with it since last december and now their wigging out and threatening to sue the owner of the house we rent at.
    I highly doubt they can sue over that. If you are playing durring hours set by your cities sound ordinance there is nothing they can do. Even if they called the cops, all the cop could do is ask you to quiet down or stop playing, they can't force you to. I would however contact your land lord if you haven't already, and let them know the situation. You wouldn't want to get evicted for something as stupid as a noise complaint. Best thing to do would be to come to an agreement with the neighbor about a good time to practice. If they complain and moan and don't want to compromise, then tell them to piss off and play whenever you want, they can't do anything about it.

User Info Menu

Whatever you decide to do, do it now. Head this off at the pass before things get out of hand and handling it out of court or without police being called for disturbing the peace or whatever is no longer an option.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I highly doubt they can sue over that. If you are playing durring hours set by your cities sound ordinance there is nothing they can do. Even if they called the cops, all the cop could do is ask you to quiet down or stop playing, they can't force you to. I would however contact your land lord if you haven't already, and let them know the situation. You wouldn't want to get evicted for something as stupid as a noise complaint. Best thing to do would be to come to an agreement with the neighbor about a good time to practice. If they complain and moan and don't want to compromise, then tell them to piss off and play whenever you want, they can't do anything about it.
    Good point Gretschhead. Typicly legal times to be able to play would be not before 10:00am and not after 10:00pm. Just to be safe and nice, I don't play after 8:00pm. Some people have to invent ways to stay angry at the world and everyone around it. Hope your landlord doesn't just go for the easy way out. Then you will be trading in your kit for an E-Kit. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I had a similar problem with a neighbour threatening to phone the council over noise pollution laws. I checked and where i live im legally allowed to play for an hour at a time between 11am and 8pm. So theres nothing they can do lol. Went round. explained this to them and they havent said a word since.. however sometimes i come off and i can hear his music blaring out at like twice the level of my drums lol. Very ott, but if your within the law then theres no problem some people just like to grumble
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Everyone else has beaten me to it. Try to work out a reasonable arrangement with the neighbors, and find out what the local ordinances are. If you are within the local ordinances their ability to sue you successfully will be greatly reduced. Notify the landlord that you've had the complaints, and that you've checked with the police about what the local ordinances are and you will abide by the local laws. Anything you can do to reasonably lower the volume for your neighbors would help. Things like hanging heavy blankets and other sound absorbing material on the garage walls on their side might make a difference.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

thank you guys for the advice. i ended up just playing like normal yesterday, and waited for the cops to show up so i could talk to them. the cop told me that he can't do anything except to tell me that there was an anonymous noise complaint and that he had to leave afterwards. and that my neighbors could step it up and make it worse if they wanted. but so my stepdad ended up nicely talking to my neighbors and came to an agreement that i have to stop playing at 5:30 everyday...kinda sucks but at least they won't call the cops anymore...hopefully.

User Info Menu

If you want total silence, here's a tip: move away from civilization.

Glad to see you have an arrangement.

Oh wait, as I type this, the landscapers at my neighbor's house are making nonstop noise. Time to call the cops. Be right back . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Kolbarama, have you talked to them to see if there is a way to work it out? I would definitely call the local police to see what the town ordinances are, but after I knew that, I would still talk to the neighbors to see if something could be worked out. If they decide to just be mean about it, you could call your local police and tell them that you offered to work things out with the neighbors, but that they were unreasonable - tell them what they said. That way, if the neighbors call the police to complain (and they will have to if they ever intend to sue), the police will know that you had tried to be reasonable.
    This man always knows what to say.

+1

User Info Menu

In my city (Brisbane) you can make excessive noise in a residential are between 0700 and 1900 each day. It amazing how some people will put up with jackhammers, angle grinders, lawn mowers etc without a problem but as soon as they hear loud music they feel threatened or something.
    I practise at home alone everyday but always finish by about 1830 (which still sucks cause I get home from work about 1730) and through the week use Vic Firth mutes on drums and cymbals.
    Then Saturdays and Sundays if I'm jamming with guitars and bass etc I take off all the mutes play as loud as i want. Normally I will only do one full jam per weekend and I try to limit it to a couple of 2 hour sessions for a loud jam. Also loud jams I will try and finish by 1700 out of respect to my neighbours.
    My house is timber and when I'm using the VicFirth mutes (and an extra pillow in the bass) you can't really hear the drums that much outside anyway so I recommend getting them at least for basic practise so you're not driving your neighbours or housemates insane with fundamentals all day
    Last edited by brutal juice; 10-26-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbarama_90 View Post
    Apparently my neighbor thinks so. If I stop playing at 8:00 p.m. every night and practice in my garage will I get into trouble with authorities for disturbing the peace?
    Well even 8PM sounds a bit late to me- Perhaps I'm just being a nice guy but I don't play past 6.30 at the very latest, and that means my neighbours like me because they get a noise free evening and when I do rarely play a bit later or play a bit earlier they don't mind because I've been a nice guy.

I know it's not nice to use but try some mutes if you want to play after 7ish, and play with out them earlier.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Heres where law gets tricky...

any noise is considered noise pollution. construction, even sirens can be considered noise pollution. You have to justify the means.

First i would discuss with the neighbors and agree to a cut off time. If they refuse to agree to ANY time, say then the law says "..." and quote your local sound ordinance...usually something to the effect of "any unreasonable noise.." and state if they refuse to set a "cut-off" time then they should have no complaints. Make sure you have a recorder in your pocket so you can show this as evidence later. Dont be a jerk about it; just be firm, saying without saying that the law is on your side and they have the burden of proof. simply calling the police about a loud noise does not prove anything measurements must be taken or the officer must hear the noise first hand or they can only issue you a warning (but dont tell them that, if you can compromise, THEN COMPROMISE!!!)

SO BACK TO UNREASONABLE NOISE...well whats unreasonable? is their dog barking at 4am unreasonable? perhaps their desiel dually that thunders through the neighborhood at 5:15 every morning? the word reasonable is an opinion. A reasonable cost for a cheeseburger is $1.50, but there are those who think the quality of a $1.50 cheeseburger isnt reasonable, so they pay what they think is reasonable which comes to $5.34 plus tax. (get it now)

Furthermore if you have ever been paid for a show, then you can consider drumming your "business". you need to practice your trade in order to master it. I am by no means a lawyer but have stumped a judge or two in my day and left them completely speechless and all my cases were dismissed. I would watch out for the owners of the house. Hes the only one with any real authority, remind them that you pay rent on time, everytime and in this economy, who knows how long that house will be vacant. I think ive covered all the bases, now for your grand slam sir!