Thread: Rack question

User Info Menu

Question Rack question

Hey guys, I have a relatively old F-Series PDP Drumkit that I still love, but for expansion options I'm planning on getting a DW Drums Rack Mount. Can anyone verify for me that this will work with my kit?

*sorry Cokemonkey, but the Forum Rules prohibit commercial links, but gave you a pic of the rack for reference - PB*

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rack question

Welcome to Drum Chat CM! I can't really help with this question, but I am sure someone will be along to give you a hand.

BTW, I lived in Ventura County for 26 years - Simi Valley for 8 and then Thousand Oaks for 18.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thats quite a fine lookin rack. larry has one and loves it, and im sure you would love it as well. for the money though you can get a pearl icon rack would no-slip bars and 3 sides, probably one with a lot of clamps on it if you search ebay. i got my 3 sided icon rack for 200 awhile back and it came with 10 clamps. so i saved about 4 or 500 dollars in the long run, and havent had a complaint thus far.

still, that is a phenominal rack from what i hear, albeit a little out of my price range, a worthwhile purchase to those of us who's price range it's in.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

@pastor_bob thanks much for fixing it, that's my mistake!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've lived in Thousand Oaks all my life--love it here.

@Russ a friend of mine is a manager at DW so I'm looking at a 66% discount

But yea, I mainly posted this thread because I wanted to make sure my older drums would function with the new rack properly. Does anyone know for sure that my toms will clamp to the rack?

User Info Menu

i dont see why they wouldnt unless they dont accept 3/4" thru 7/8" tom holders. if your really uncertain, what i would do is take your tom holder with you to the store or your friend and check it against the clamps to be sure they fit them properly; no wiggling it to squeeze it in, there should be leeway when loosened enough so it can be fitted evenly. it's stainless steel, so it's gonna cost a little more because of building supplies, but the weight of it brings to it's strong point- wont loosen as much, and will never rust no matter where it's put. even with that discount there is a significant cost to expand a rack, clamps, tom holders, cymbal holders, legs, bars, the works. make sure you're getting a deal when it comes time to do that as well, and you're set..

if you really want to expand though, gibraltar is the best rack for that because of the dominating number of parts available at prices that agree with many of us. chrome is also much less costwise than stainless steel, and weighs less in addition. the pearl ones are the lightest because they are aluminum, and this also helps bring down the cost. not saying dont get the dw, its just if your gonna eventually build some crazy sculpture or cage, dw is gonna knock your wallet around like a punching bag before long
    Last edited by Russ; 10-21-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i dont see why they wouldnt unless they dont accept 3/4" thru 7/8" tom holders. if your really uncertain, what i would do is take your tom holder with you to the store or your friend and check it against the clamps to be sure they fit them properly; no wiggling it to squeeze it in, there should be leeway when loosened enough so it can be fitted evenly. it's stainless steel, so it's gonna cost a little more because of building supplies, but the weight of it brings to it's strong point- wont loosen as much, and will never rust no matter where it's put. even with that discount there is a significant cost to expand a rack, clamps, tom holders, cymbal holders, legs, bars, the works. make sure you're getting a deal when it comes time to do that as well, and you're set..

if you really want to expand though, gibraltar is the best rack for that because of the dominating number of parts available at prices that agree with many of us. chrome is also much less costwise than stainless steel, and weighs less in addition. the pearl ones are the lightest because they are aluminum, and this also helps bring down the cost. not saying dont get the dw, its just if your gonna eventually build some crazy sculpture or cage, dw is gonna knock your wallet around like a punching bag before long
    Okay I understand now, I did not know they were standardized sizes like 3/4 inch to 7/8 inch. After looking at the accessories list I can for sure say this will work.

Thanks much!

User Info Menu

One thing nice about the above mentioned pipe racks DW, PDP, Gilbraltor, all interchangeable parts. Speaking of building incrediable racks, Jonathan Moffit has been Michael Jackson's drummer for over 30 years and I saw pictures of his 1984 drum kit that featured a one off custom $30,000 drum rack that was just out of this world.

Today, Jonathan and Gilbraltor have created his latest creation which was featured during Jackson's memorial and according to Jonathan, was just a fraction of the cost compared to the 1984 rack.

Here' a pic:

User Info Menu

Here's a pic of the $30,000 custom made rack for Jonathan Moffit from MJ's '84 tour. The new Gibraltor rack has taken and carried out to true form.

User Info Menu

thats plain insane
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

johnathan moffat - what is he compensating for?

User Info Menu

id never play on something like that
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    id never play on something like that
    Russ, if you did play on something like that, I'll buy tickets to see you perform. Jackson tired to talk Moffit into donating the $30k rack to the Smithsonian Institute as a keepsake so others could appreciate the art behind the design.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brutal juice View Post
    johnathan moffat - what is he compensating for?
    Compensating for the fact he made a ton of money playing in Jackson's band.

User Info Menu

it doesnt look too expensive, nowadays you could build something like that for a couple thousand maybe or maybe less even.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

AHA! JM's far right bass drum must be where they hid MJ's body while the entire global media was looking for him before the funeral...

Sorry, but I had to say it after seeing that monstrosity. And even more sorry that I just bumped this thread.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus