Thread: Help me break this down please.

User Info Menu

Default Help me break this down please.

Hey there. How does Christoph play the intro to Rammstein's song "Morgenstern"?

I've been tapping away at my practice pad for a while now but can't even work out the patterns being played to slow them down and drill them.

It's probably over my level of playing but figured I'd ask at least

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help me break this down please.

you might try to find a drumtab for the song. there are connections to drumtab sites from drumbum, you can look for them in the lower sections of the forum
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hey Depth Charge! I have never heard this song before so I got it off a YouTube post. Hopefully it is the same one. Let me know if it is illegible.

Basically it is 16th notes with alternating accents every three notes. There are also some doubles in there, otherwise the sticking is RLRL throughout. I don't know how well you read but the // marks on some of the notes mean to play a double tap (double stroke). I think they were all on lefts - R L R (LL) or
    R LL R LL. The > mark is an accent, so play these louder. Please forgive if you are a great reader.

Let me know if there is anything you need clarification on. The transcription is attached to this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks

User Info Menu

Hey thanks MadGolfer, that really helps! I used the "Volkerball live" YouTube video as a reference for the song (Morgenstern).

Funny enough I own "Simply Drums" on DVD and print which helped me recognise the patterns you describe from that book. Maybe if I drilled more I could have picked the part out myself
    Last edited by Depth_Charge; 10-21-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Didn't see last post. . .

User Info Menu

I was up all night drilling this and came up with the attached version. It sounds accurate enough.

This way of playing it feels more natural for me. I'm playing R throughout but accenting with both hands. Im also alternating hands on the double strokes at the end of each bar and rolling the volume off a bit to add dynamics. Its tricky and can only play it at about 70% speed.

Not sure what a drum teacher would say, but its working for me so far

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Depth_Charge; 10-22-2009 at 09:04 PM.

User Info Menu

...or for those of us that arent robots and can sight read that quickly...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JngZHJYbnQ4"]YouTube- Rammstein - Morgenstern Live from Volkerball[/ame]

watch alot of live footage

User Info Menu

That guy sounds like an opera singer singing over some hard rock music lol kinda weird but to each his own..