Thread: Gig from Hell

User Info Menu

Unhappy Gig from Hell

Hey Gang,I subbed a gig recently w/ a Band I never played w/ before.I had 2 weeks to learn 26 cover songs I never played [ some I never heard ] before.We did one practice and didn't get thru all the songs [singer came late]. The Band consisted of Bass,Drums,Keys,Guitar w/ 2 Singers.@ the nite of the gig I find out that we have a sub guitarist who never palyed w/ this band before.Great,50% of the Band is subbing !!! We start out OK,but a few songs that start w/ Drums & Guitar only the Guitar player is not playing anything because he can't remember the song.Now I'm starting to get nervous because the Band is looking @ me like I'm doing somthing wrong.The Bass player is the Leader,But he's in his own world and no one is giving me any clue's when to Break or we're going out here.Train wreck waiting to happen right ? I mess up a couple of song's by counting off too fast or slow.Now the singer's are dying in front w/ the Band crash & burning ,so what happens ? The Singer's come in @ the wrong time on some song's.All in all I messed up maybe 3 or 4 song's.Nothing really bad,but it still bummed me out.The Guitar player is well known so nobody say's nothing about his playing.Some how after this gig is over,I get blamed for the Band's poor performance and get replaced on 2 other gig's that they booked w/ me. I know that I shouldn't have taken this gig on such short notice. I subbed other gig's w/ new Band's w/ no problem's before. I'm more a Oldies type player and having to learn 26 current songs w/ lots of breaks was dumb. The Band is OK, and it really should'nt bother me ... But it does. Sometime's I think it's better to just pass on a gig. Of course I'll never do that again !!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gig from Hell

we call that a life experience

now you will think before accepting something in last minute

i ad the same experience 20 year ago

the drummer is always the one who f... up the band , never a singer never a guitar player

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I hear ya . I quit a group that wanted to only practice for 15-20 minutes before playing ...not my thing. Your right sometimes it's better to say no.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Well I hoped you thanked the band for all the support they gave you..............NOT!!!!! Sounds like their true colours came out. Blaming the drummer is typical of bands isn't it. Only take last minute gigs if its a blues gig!! Groove and feel baby!

User Info Menu

Hey Drum, don't let it bother you, man. This gig had a low success percentage to start with...and it sounds like you did the best you can. What should have happened is that the original members of the band should have communicated (during the gig) on tempo and where the kicks were. Anyway, I hope you got paid at least !

User Info Menu

drumdeano, you just have to chalk it up to a learning experience - like you just learned never to do that again. Know who you are as a drummer, and don't let it shake your confidence, because nobody would have had a chance to perform well in that situation.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I wouldnt worry about them replacing you on the next 2 gigs........they just did you a favor cause you know how those gigs are going to go already .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

That was a tough night out @ "The Club of Hard Knocks" man. You got a bad gig under your belt so anything that comes your way like this again....you're good.

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like the band was the problem not you.

User Info Menu

Hey Guy's,Thanks for the support.I guess I just needed to vent.I now know why this band is always going through members. I understand they sub member's all the time w/out practice ... Yikes !!! BTW,I did get paid.

User Info Menu

Yup, been there, back in the 80's I done quite a few set ins for a night or two when their drummer had other obligations to fill.
    Country & classic rock dance music in the bars.
    Chances were I had never seen or met them before, so I never knew what I was walking into.
    If they were good I usually made them sound very good and they loved it.
    But if they were bad I could do them no justice, not even for myself...
    I always felt like saying at the end of the night "I'm Larry Lunch Meat and I was part of your lunch meat show tonight"...
    I hate the feeling of taking the money and running, but how can you earn your keep when they have nothing worth keeping?
    Run Forrest run fast and far don't look back!
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Yeah, they've got their own problems to deal with. Don't sweat it.

User Info Menu

I've played hunreds of situations like that. Don't fret over it. I got a saying. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" I believe that I am a better drummer because of it. I have a certain instinct that kicks in when I am in unfamiliar or uncomfortable musical settings now. Basically keep your "ears" to the grindstone and give er!

all the best...