Thread: Is this OK to do?

User Info Menu

Default Is this OK to do?

I have a Tumba Conga and Quinto. I was thinking of using the conga tuned as the quinto and the quinto tuned down to the conga. The reason is just to give me more room with my hands on the skin.

Is it OK to tun a conga that high? or would it not sounds as good. Also, I only use the conga occasionally (to my left) Quinto (tuned hi.. in the center) and Tumba to my left.

So I play mosttly Quinto and Tumba.. and occasionally hit the conga.

So, OK to have the bigger conga in the middle tuned as quinto?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is this OK to do?

Sure you can, in latin music most conguero's prefer conga/ tumba, some even play conga, conga, tumba. I've done it and the conga police never came knocking on my door

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is this OK to do?

As long as the drum still sounds good your fine. Each drum wants to be within a certain range of pitch. For example my tumba sounds like junk if I tune it too high and likewise too low. The drum should tell you! Everones setup is different. What works for me is conga in the middle, tumba just touching the right knee and my requinto about 10 inches off my right thigh. Sounds funny but it works for me.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Is this OK to do?

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1881 View Post
    I have a Tumba Conga and Quinto. I was thinking of using the conga tuned as the quinto and the quinto tuned down to the conga. The reason is just to give me more room with my hands on the skin.

Is it OK to tun a conga that high? or would it not sounds as good. Also, I only use the conga occasionally (to my left) Quinto (tuned hi.. in the center) and Tumba to my left.

So I play mosttly Quinto and Tumba.. and occasionally hit the conga.

So, OK to have the bigger conga in the middle tuned as quinto?
    Do as you wish; it's no different than tuning your side toms higher than normal to achieve a "timbale-like" style (as I once did with my toms early on in my kit playing!). My only concern is that you might break a head from tuning them too high.

Have you tried moving the drums themselves to give yourself more room on the conga?

Quote Originally Posted by congafly View Post
    As long as the drum still sounds good your fine. Each drum wants to be within a certain range of pitch. For example my tumba sounds like junk if I tune it too high and likewise too low. The drum should tell you! Everones setup is different. What works for me is conga in the middle, tumba just touching the right knee and my requinto about 10 inches off my right thigh. Sounds funny but it works for me.
    Hey, congafly, welcome aboard! My setup is an "arrowhead" or "flying-V," with my quinto on the left, the conga as the "point" of the V, and the tumba a bit to my right (maybe about six inches off my right thigh so I have room for my right foot and for the bongo stand, which I put between the conga and the tumba. Works for me, bro'! BTW, if I ever got a requinto, I'll borrow the idea for the diamond pattern you show in your av! COOL!!!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck