Thread: Dvd video

User Info Menu

Default Dvd video

Hi everyone. First time post, been reading everything I can and learn anything new. Lots of good stuff on this site. Just picked up a set of older white fiberglass LP quito/ conga and just trying to learn everything I can. I've read that the Thomas Cruz II video is good so I ordered it. Looked at alot of youtube videos especially Nate Torres. Learned alot from him. Was wondering if the Afro Cuban to rock video is worth getting. Been playing for years but don't know what I'm playing. I've made djembes some took up to 50 hrs to complete, skinned with sharks I've caught and carefully skinned. The two I kept have goat skin. Also I got into making didgeridoos about 10 years back selling and trading. Been into percussion forever now, its just time to learn to read music and know what I'm playing. Thanks for any advise.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dvd video

Right on, thanks Leedy2.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat fishkiller! You must be a California coastal dweller.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes I am Bob. My work is right on the beach can"t beat it. I guess thats why i've worked there for 14 years now.

User Info Menu

Hey fishkiller, welcome aboard. I've also heard great things about all of the Thomas Cruz books/dvds. I believe the Afro Cuban to Rock dvd you are refering to is the one with Raul Rekow and Karl Perazzo from Santana? If it is, I have the vhs and found it pretty helpful. It is pretty basic in what it covers, but it shows how to incorporate the traditional rhythms into non-traditional settings ie: rock and funk etc. It is a great beginner dvd with some basic rhythms and understanding of clave etc. It has some cool footage of them playing with Santana as well.

User Info Menu

I have the Tomas Cruz conga method volumes 1 and 2 and they are great. Out of all the courses I've seen they are by far the best. They are very comprehensive and he really takes the time to teach you the different strokes and rhythms. Having the books and the DVD's is a great idea especially for me since I'm a visual learner. I am still working on vol. 2, but when I get through it a couple of times I'm definitely going to order volume three. Volume 1 is also very helpful for everyday practice. It has a ton of exercises and rudiments that will help improve your playing.You really can't go wrong with this set. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Yeah it was the one with Raul and Karl. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to check it out. Got to see Santana lots of times live in Santa Barbara, it was killer. My thomas cruz should be here today, can't wait. If I had a computer at home it would be easier watching you tube lesson videos but by the time I write it all down, I forget how it sounds, especially the guanguanco if thats how you spell it. Thanks Gretsch and conguera.