Thread: Ebay?

User Info Menu

Default Ebay?

I have never bought any of my drumming stuff on ebay. Always been afraid of being taken advantage of(have gotten jipped on a lot of stuff).

From your guys personal expierence, how has Ebay been for you guys along the lines of purchasing your drumming stuff?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ebay?

ive purchased from there a million times, and havent had any bad experiences yet. ive been lucky so far
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Like Russ, I have purchased many items on E-Bay, including almost everything I own that is drum related, probubly over 1000 transactions over the years and have been dissapointed only twice. Once on a book that was damaged opon delivery that could have been the fault of the postal service, but was packaged cheaply, and the other time was when I bought a video card heat sink fan from Hong Kong that quit whithin a month. Because I don't know from under which circumstances that you got gipped, I would say that you have to do your research and check out the dealers track record first, and see what other people have already posted. Other than that maybe you've just had bad luck
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I guess it was my fault for not saying that I had gotten gipped on other items outside the drumming field. I was just kinda testing the waters to see from your guys expierence what you have thought of it.

User Info Menu

Oh man! How can you NOT buy stuff off eBay?!? Seriously, there's no better selection on the planet!

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

even after all this time and experience dealing with them and the people on there, regardless of feedback scores and their reputations as sellers- it's still unnerving cause i feel like im taking a huge risk giving them money that isnt in person. i feel a lot better when the item comes of course, but still.. it can be unsettling feeling in your stomach. and then there's the issue of "gee is ups going to break what i ordered cause the driver is having personal problems?"
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

ThePloughman Guest

Ebay has mostly been a very happy experience for me.

I have had nearly 300 transactions. I hate sellers that do not post feedback. They generally suck. And.....I have popped a few dishonest sellers in the last ten years. That always makes me happy.

User Info Menu

I recently bought a Meinl Soundcaster ride on eBay. This ride is $270 brand new and I got for $70. My only complaint is that in the picture it looked mint and what I received was a discolored cymbal, and a very unevenly discolored cymbal at that. It's in tact though and sounds great so it's still $70 well spent.

Honestly, though, eBay is pretty safe. If you use PayPal for your transaction it's pretty straightforward on how to get your money back if someone ships you something other than what they described in the auction.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Personally, I would never buy a musical insturment unless I played it first.

User Info Menu

I rarely have problems buying, I have had a handful of stressful purchases though and lost some money a few times, but I've been using ebay since it was started. The key is to look at peoples feedback and ask as many questions as you can.

Selling is a completely different story. The fees and the hassel is no longer worth it, especially with the convinience of craigslist. Ebay charges listing fees as well as final sale fees, and paypal takes out a fee as well to recieve money. The shipping calculators that ebay provides is almost always wrong, I always end up shelling out more money for shipping and buyers don't want to make up the difference. Buyers complain when the shipping price is too high, sorry, boxes cost money, bubble wrap costs money, peanuts costs money, shipping a package is not cheap anymore no matter what it is. Its just a hassel, craigslist is so much easier.

User Info Menu

Had only two problems so far, one as a buyer...got my money back from PayPal, and the other is the buyer has not paid me...so that too goes to ebay for resolutions, other than that no other problems. suggestion though from what i can see happening, alot of sellers when it comes to drum stuff, like to use FILE pictures rather than true to life photos..these I caution on just as the others have commented as far as what they recieved that was different than posted picture, may not hurt when time allows to ask seller to post a true picture of what he is selling..may work!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

For me ebay becomes the craigslist with a lot more stuff when I can't find anything good on CL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Personally, I would never buy a musical insturment unless I played it first.
    I kinda have this problem too. I've sold a bunch of drums and cymbals on ebay but have yet to buy anything.

User Info Menu

I have sold and bought a lot of musical stuff on EBay. When I sell something, I am as honest and clear as I possibly can be about the quality and sound of whatever I'm selling. Unfortunately, you can only hope that other people will be as well.

So far all the musical equipment I've bought on EBay has been exactly what I expected it to be, but I have a few rules. First, I will not buy anything from a seller that is obviously a business selling on EBay. You can spot these from a mile away - they have flashy pages, a few hundred thousand completed tranactions, the photos are always stock photos of the instruments, and they always have links to their stores advertising the hundred other items they have for sale at the same time. I'm always worried that anything they are selling is either a knock off, a deliberate forgery, or stolen. When I'm buying musical equipment from EBay, I always look for the item that looks like it's being sold by a real person: actual photos that someone took in their home of the exact thing being sold, normally they don't have too much stuff for sale all at once, and the listing is normally just the standard EBay format without any frills. When I see something like that I always feel safer, because I feel like I'm dealing with another human being as opposed to some online vulture.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

I have bought a couple of drum kits, hardware, cymbals, cases on eBay over time - as well as guitars and amps... If you are careful about who you buy from and ask all your questions up front - you can generally do pretty well... and certainly get some very good bargains.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

I would say definitely you can buy drums and hardware on ebay, but maybe not cymbals. Since there's such large variation in the same model of cast cymbals, it's best to buy it from a store, or from Craigslist where you can go hear it. Also people tend to sell cracked or key-holed cymbals but don't put that in the description.
    Matt

User Info Menu

i think people that dream of having quality gear but generally are stuck buying zbt's that they buy out of shops because they dont think they can find a better deal, really need places like ebay to help them get into a better sound that they have been wanting. let's face it shop owners cant let stuff go for what ebay sellers can, and personally i like how you can sometimes find the rarest of drum related stuff that just isn't available elsewhere. it really opens a lot of doors!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i've gotten a zildjian A 15" fast crash and 20" ping ride, as well as an axis AX-A foot pedal for far lower costs than normal... all in great shape and sounding good !

User Info Menu

Never a problem on eBay.

Only bought 1 musical item though (cymbals). They were as pictured and described. I've bought lots of other stuff, games, computers, etc too.

As a seller, I know PayPal will put a hold on the funds until the buyer leaves feedback. It's a nice, secure system.

User Info Menu

No probs for me, I even had a Sabian 18" AAX shipped from New York.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html