Thread: Explaining Musicality

User Info Menu

Default Explaining Musicality

Ok, so my guitarists in my band are teenagers(along with myself) and they are a little immature. They are good guitarists, but only for metal, hard rock, ect. Our singr wrote a song, which I put a drum part to, and it sound like the style of the classic crime, which is most definitely not metal.
    http://www.purevolume.com/theclassiccrime
    They are refusing to play that kind of style because "they are not used to playing it". All their used to playing is screaming guitar solos. They dont really understand that musicality comes into play in this style, that you almost 'pound' this music into the ground. Its hard, but not metal, its sad, but not slow, its rocking, and soulful, and very very musical.
    How do I explain musicality to them, and convince them to grow as musicians and learn a new style to play in?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Explaining Musicality

I like the sound of the music, I say go for it and tell them a band is a team effort, and everyone should have a say so in what is played. If they don't like that style and refuse to play it, find some more guitar players that wanna play it. I am sure there are plenty...

By the way, you just hit 100 posts! congrats on that!!

User Info Menu

Tell them that if they are real musicians they will learn as many styles as they can.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

This is a touchy one because you've got at least two different styles of music that are in conflict within the band. Personally, I don't think its going to work...that is, you guys will have to decide on a style that will define your band. IMHO, the sooner the better. Good Luck 46 !

User Info Menu

alternative is definitely the name of this

User Info Menu

hmm. ok. they decided they would play it. yay! I told them prestty much what you guys said and i think it convinced them.

User Info Menu

I'd like to say Good for you !! It's generally the drummers that are inmature and not wanting to grow so +1 for you my friend !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I have a similar problem with my band... the guitarists don't know much much about the musical side of things. It's not like they don't want to learn about it but more that they cant be bothered lol. Well good luck in the future with your band bro and hope all goes well for ya

User Info Menu

all they play are solos? no offense but musicians who overplay like that are boring to watch and dont last very long. i mean solos are great, and if you can do them it's the greatest feeling ever for sure; but all the time? come on man i didn't pay ticket prices to watch people jam on stage
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Drummers and musical drummers. Keep the groove without loseng it and hit some accesnts with the melody, bass kicks, play the song, but don't get in the way. easier said than done. you really have to "know" song

User Info Menu

One thing that is hard for musicians to get their heads around sometimes is what the people in the crowd like and what musicians like are not always the same. What we find interesting and stimulating can be taxing and boring to the crowd. I have slowly learned that the crowd likes a good hook with a song they can bob their heads to and has a reasonable time frame.

User Info Menu

nucjd is right! there is a HUGE difference there
    lifes too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    Ok, so my guitarists in my band are teenagers(along with myself) and they are a little immature. They are good guitarists, but only for metal, hard rock, ect. Our singr wrote a song, which I put a drum part to, and it sound like the style of the classic crime, which is most definitely not metal.
    http://www.purevolume.com/theclassiccrime
    They are refusing to play that kind of style because "they are not used to playing it". All their used to playing is screaming guitar solos. They dont really understand that musicality comes into play in this style, that you almost 'pound' this music into the ground. Its hard, but not metal, its sad, but not slow, its rocking, and soulful, and very very musical.
    How do I explain musicality to them, and convince them to grow as musicians and learn a new style to play in?
    i seen them live man they were pretty good
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    all they play are solos? no offense but musicians who overplay like that are boring to watch and dont last very long. i mean solos are great, and if you can do them it's the greatest feeling ever for sure; but all the time? come on man i didn't pay ticket prices to watch people jam on stage
    Apparently you aren't a Grateful Dead/Allman Brothers/Phish fan haha. And if your solos are good enough you can last quite a while, look at Jimi Hendrix. Yeah he did songs but noone really cared about the singing because it wasn't that great, people love Jimi because he could shred.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

A good song is 2 minutes tops. The rest is dross! LOL

all the best...