Thread: Bass drum sizes?

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum sizes?

I currently have a 20X22 Bass drum. I was curious in comparison how does a 14X22 sound. What effect does the depth of the shell have? I have heard small bass drums have a big booming sound. And deeper bass drums have a small little baby sound. Besides the tuning what is the difference?
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum sizes?

How many ply's the drum is makes a big difference as well as the wood type and heads.

My 72' Rogers Holiday 14x22 sounds twice as big as my DW 18x22.

Even my little 14x20 67' Rogers Holiday wails.

User Info Menu

Generally if two drums are constructed the same, a smaller depth means less resonance and less projection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Generally if two drums are constructed the same, a smaller depth means less resonance and less projection.
    I'd agree with this and add that shallower bass drums tend to respond better to a lighter touch in much the same way that shallower toms do... it's easier to get the air moving in a shallower bass drum.

Also - in general I think you'll get more beater attack and definition from a 14x22 vs a 20x22.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

more plies makes it louder, less plies makes it less loud; bigger diameter gives a lower pitch range, smaller gives it a higher one; more depth more sustain, less depth less sustain. but also the different types of shell material also comes into the equation to an extent. learning how to mix all of these concepts together will help you find the sound you've been dreaming of
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Awesome! Thanks guys...
    Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    more plies makes it louder, less plies makes it less loud; bigger diameter gives a lower pitch range, smaller gives it a higher one; more depth more sustain, less depth less sustain. but also the different types of shell material also comes into the equation to an extent. learning how to mix all of these concepts together will help you find the sound you've been dreaming of
    I agree with most of this. Greater depth only has more volume potential if you have enough force on it. If you play heel down lightly with an axis pedal, a 20"x18" is going to have less presence than a 20"x14" if everything else is the same. If you play heel up hard with a Iron Cobra, a 20"x18" will have more presence than a 20"x14". It has a lot to do with the shell thickness though. If it's thinner than 9mm, I would take a 24"x16" or a 22"x16". If it's thicker than 9mm, I'd take a 24"x18" or a 22"x18".

You should evaluate the way you play, what kind of pedal and beater you use or will use, and what sound you want. After you do that very carefully, narrow down your choices, that way you won't have to worry about being disappointed with your final choice.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

User Info Menu

someones been doing a bit of research! glad you said mm count and not "9 ply is always louder than 6" because there are exceptions when the mm count per ply is more on the 6 ply than on the 9.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Imperialstar Guest

I made a 10-ply (7.4mm) Keller kick that was 26x16". IMO, it was a one trick pony, because you had to shove around too much air. The kick felt pillowy to me. There was a good reason Bonham liked 26x14" kicks. 2" of depth on a 26" kick makes a big difference in tunability and response. DDRUM diode dominator kit had a 26x16" kick, and while it's a cosmetically appealing ratio, I'd rather have 26x14.

User Info Menu

Bonham's kick was 3 ply though..
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say I hammer the beater and I like to use a felt beater on a coated head. I use a DW5000 single kick pedal. I would liek the flexibility to be able to change pedals or beaters without having to worry about the kick drums sound. That being said I think that 22X14 would suit my needs. What do you guys think?
    Sabian XS Cymbals

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Bonham's kick was 3 ply though..
    His maple kick. His acrylic kick was 26x14. And there was a stainless steel kick...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    I wouldn't say I hammer the beater and I like to use a felt beater on a coated head. I use a DW5000 single kick pedal. I would liek the flexibility to be able to change pedals or beaters without having to worry about the kick drums sound. That being said I think that 22X14 would suit my needs. What do you guys think?
    What exactly do you want it to sound like? If you want a good all-round kick go for a 22"x16".
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    What exactly do you want it to sound like? If you want a good all-round kick go for a 22"x16".

I don't want a clicky sound which I know has to do with the batter type. I want a nice round fat kind of sound but with more definition than a 26X14. Not quite sure how to explain it.
    Sabian XS Cymbals