Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your first drum set

User Info Menu

Default Your first drum set

I found some pics at my parents house the other day of my first kit. It was handed down to me from my brother. He bought it used in '84 (the year I was born) and I started playing it around '92 or so. These pics are probably from about '97 or so.

Anyway, the kit itself is an 1982 Yamaha 7000 series. Standard 12,13,14,16,22 config. Shells are Agathis & Philippine Mahogany, 9 ply for the toms, 10 ply for the bass drum. Wrap is obviously chrome. This kit weighs a ton. I was fortunate enough to have this kit as my first. It served me very well and I still have it today. It lives at my bands practice space and still gets used all the time.

What was your first kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your first drum set

This was my first drum kit:

This was my second kit:

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my current:

Yep, it's all the same kit lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

My one and only kit, PDP EZ 5 pc.

See "Show Us Your Drums" for pics.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Bought off a friend for 60, served me well for a couple of months until i bought my Gretsch!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

First ever kit!!! Sessio Pro in Wine Red

Btw, please ignore the tom placement, and come to think of it, the placement of everything! This was nearly 6 years ago and I'd been playing for around 2 weeks! lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Well, I don't have any pics, but I got it back in 1978 and it was a "Royce" 3 pc. red in color.

Anyone ever hear of that brand?

User Info Menu

Pearl Export 1978 in silver
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

^

Gotta love the concert toms1

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Well, I don't have any pics, but I got it back in 1978 and it was a "Royce" 3 pc. red in color.

Anyone ever hear of that brand?
    Yeah, I've seem some Royce kits before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Yeah, I've seem some Royce kits before.
    I haven't seen any in years, glad to hear that I'm not alone in hearing of them. I beat that old kit to death! I was only 7 yrs old when I got it and I believe I had it for probably about 8 yrs before I sold it and bought a new Rogers 5 pc.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5f7Q1DSrA"]YouTube - Finger Drums Kit[/ame]

Imperialstar Guest

Mine was made of 9-ply Egyptian papyrus. I played it with cattails I picked from the edge of the Nile. Cameras weren't invented yet.

User Info Menu

My first was a CB Drums 5-piece. It was a blue sparkle finish...I don't have any pics of it though.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I got my first kit in November of 1972 for my 10th birthday.. it had a rail mount for the tom and a cymbal holder on the bass drum. I had remo heads on it, a pair of Avedis hats, and an Avedis crash/ride. I found this pic in an old Tama catalog...looks like my kit but the series name doesn't ring a bell.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialstar View Post
    Mine was made of 9-ply Egyptian papyrus. I played it with cattails I picked from the edge of the Nile. Cameras weren't invented yet.
    hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe SNORT hehehehehe
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    I got my first kit in November of 1972 for my 10th birthday.. it had a rail mount for the tom and a cymbal holder on the bass drum. I had remo heads on it, a pair of Avedis hats, and an Avedis crash/ride. I found this pic in an old Tama catalog...looks like my kit but the series name doesn't ring a bell.
    Looks like the forerunner to Tama drums....if it's the same thing.

User Info Menu

My first kit was a ddrum D2 kit. I was getting in cheap in case I wasn't as good as i hoped I was. I saved it for my son. Look at the way I had that ride placed! I hope I'm a little smarter now!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    My first kit was a ddrum D2 kit. I was getting in cheap in case I wasn't as good as i hoped I was. I saved it for my son. Look at the way I had that ride placed! I hope I'm a little smarter now!
    Hey pastor bob,
    That looks nice for a starter set, the d2 is 9 ply mahogany right? How did it sound for you?

User Info Menu

My 1st kit was a 4-piece Ludwig Super Classics...13,16 and a HUGH 20x 22 kick in WMP with a 51/2 x 14 premier chrome snare and all ludwig hardware. It was built in 1967,and is the measure by which I compare ANY drumset i hear to this day. My parents bought it used for me when they understood that i was going to stick with playing...It also came with a set of Paiste cymbals, 20 inch ride,18 in crash and 13 inch hi-hats...its been so long ago I cant remember the model......lol All this for $600. (which, in 1967, was a very large amount of money) I played that kit forever, it seemed, even after I got a set of vistalites in 1980. When i "retired" in the mid 80's, i sold them for $300 to a local high school band. Can you say IF I ONLY KNOW WHAT I KNOW NOW?..........lol Oh, buy the way......the vistalites? That was a hugh kit...9 piece,single bass and i did get what i paid for i bought it for back then .....new........(sit down please)....$1200......can you say inflation?......and I am gonna try and find some old pics....may in the old high school or college year books.....if i can, I'll scan em and get em on here

ThePloughman Guest

My first first kit wasnt mine. 1974
    1967 Rogers Holiday in sparkling blue pearl, 20-12-14 with a matching Rogers luxor snare. Some A zildian hats and a cracked Istanbul K. They belonged to my teacher, and I got free reign on them for two years.

My first kit, 1979.
    Rogers 24-13-14-15-18, with COB Dynasonic, Econoline Fibre Cases, Paiste 2002 Cymbals. They were exactly two years old. And by a strange set of circumstances, I did buy them but had never seen them. I came in from work at midnight and they were set up in the house.

A few years ago I added a bass drum, I lost a bass drum, added some toms and then sold out a few pieces. In two weeks, we celebrate 30 years together. These drums are in my wedding pictures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialstar View Post
    Sounds like a nice kit, Moses!

User Info Menu

I rocked a CB SP Series, worked my butt of laying sod all summer to buy it.

User Info Menu

WOW...all of these are nicer than my first kit. I payed $40 for a basket case with a welded cymbal stand, and for some reason I painted a neon green peace sign on the snare head. But it came with a great set of Avanti HH and a vintage Sonor crash that I regret using and breaking. I used the HH's for 10yrs however.

Love the ancient egyptian kit, and the finger-drum vid (I want one).

User Info Menu

Im still using my first kit ,I got it used in 1978.

Its was a 4 pc. Ludwig set from 1967 in black diamond pearl. I added a 12 x 15 tom in 1979 and then in 1980 I added 5 1/2 x 6 and 6 x 8 toms.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post

A few years ago I added a bass drum, I lost a bass drum, added some toms and then sold out a few pieces. In two weeks, we celebrate 30 years together. These drums are in my wedding pictures.

At the very least, you have a big enough collection to make a drum museum jealous! You must be in the top 2 biggest collector of Rogers in the world. (There is a guy in New York). It's seriously close to the time to call Guinness about a new entry.

In a world where everyone else has a kit for 2 years and screams at each other over the latest "high end" fad, you are accumulating classic drums and keeping them.

It's amazing stuff.

User Info Menu

My first kit was a CB700 nothing special but it worked.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.