Thread: snare sound

User Info Menu

Default snare sound

hey guys whats up. well i need some help here ive always been tyring to look for that snare sound ive been wanting for a while and i found in the video below. can you guys give me some advice on how to get my snare to sound like that,...........or even close to that sound.......thanx

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYn02fNRW1s"]YouTube - VICIOUS REIGN / STUCK IN KAOS[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare sound

I couldn't really get a good look at the drums in the video except from the back, so here's my best guess. It looks like he's using a pretty standard sized snare, from the looks of it probably wood, odds are maple or birch. He had it tuned very tightly, and there was a slight ringing after the initial impact which would be consistent with thinner, single ply heads and little to no muffling.

If you're trying to recreate this sound, go and get yourself a thin, clear "hazy" or "snare' head for the bottom of your snare, and then any of the single ply coated top heads, (Evans Genera G1, Remo Diplomat or Ambassador, Aquarian Satin Finish, whatever you like) tune them pretty high, and wind the snares themselves pretty tight too. That should get you close.

One other trick, which I think is an old Joe Morello trick, is to tune your snare side head about one chromatic third higher than your batter side head. To do this, hum the first few notes of "Here Comes The Bride" to yourseld and try to get the same increment in note between the two heads. It's tricky but has a cool effect.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

I agree with dt3...definitely not a deep drum and batter head real tight. It almost sounds like a metal drum, but not real sure. He also hits the daylights out of them...so, I think that contributes to the sound he gets.

User Info Menu

ok so really tight ..............cranked all the way or no?

User Info Menu

Don't be fooled by the video. He may not have played that particular drum in the studio. It sounds like a brass snare, medium depth, tuned fairly tight. It doesn't sound as though there was much muffling if any. Kind of has a "live" sound to it.
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks

User Info Menu

fairly tight.........mmmmm ok

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerbomb91 View Post
    fairly tight.........mmmmm ok
    Yeah, I don't think it's cranked all the way down, but it is pretty tight.

And since MadGolfer pointed it out, it does sound more like a metal drum than a wood drum, he might have recorded it playing a different snare.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

I did some goolging and found that he (Chris Faircloth) plays Spaun Drums : http://www.spaundrums.com/artists/album/index2.html

I was just checking out these drums...very cool stuff. I wouldn't mind playing on these..they certainly sound good !
    Last edited by nio; 10-30-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add the name...

User Info Menu

they are good drums..........my snare is actually a spaun...........yeah awesome stuff

User Info Menu

Remember when the mix engineer gets it, all bets are off on what was done in the mixing. Sounds like it has quite a bit of compression on it and there is a reverb tail on the snare track as well to get the sound you are hearing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Remember when the mix engineer gets it, all bets are off on what was done in the mixing. Sounds like it has quite a bit of compression on it and there is a reverb tail on the snare track as well to get the sound you are hearing.
    Exactly what nucjd just said.....that snare has been mixed and chances of yours sounding like that are pretty slim.

Im going to guess and say he is using a 5x14 metal snare. Best of luck in your search for sound.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

id say 14 by 5 metal snare,with a emporer on top tuned pretty tight , with the snares loosened up a bit , and make sure to hit it hard ...

User Info Menu

dont worry about hitting hard .................i beat my drums like they owe me money...lol XD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerbomb91 View Post
    dont worry about hitting hard .................i beat my drums like they owe me money...lol XD

Nice....