Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saluda Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Saluda Cymbals

thought it would be neat to have a thread for all the Saluda lovers out there. so just anything Saluda, anytime just discuss here! who knows maybe the mods will sticky it!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Saluda Cymbals

Great cymbal company. I mean theres all this hype about custom drums, Shine, SJC, Spaun....ect ect. Ive heard all those use Keller shells, and while they do have amazing finishes you cant make a maple shell of whatever plys sound any different than another maple shell with the same amount of plys.

But cymbals....this company has a few base series, and you can have any cymbal sound you want out of the base cymbal series. Just email them and ask how you want your cymbal to sound and they make it like that.

Custom cymbals, c'mon! Made in the USA by great people. I got one of their new Decadence crashes and I think its amazing and its the exact crash sound I want. My next crash splash and some effects cymbals will be Saluda. They have great customer service. I advise you check out their website and forums.

User Info Menu

what would be the mid level cymbal line? like Saluda's price/quality rival of A custom Zildjians?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Imperialstar Guest

I am using rock prototype saluda 14" hats, 16/18 crash and 20" ride. Very bright and cutting.

Larrysperf Guest

I have a saluda splash and it is one of my favorites

User Info Menu

Saludas prices are cheaper than the big 3 because you buy direct. A comparable line to the A's (I hear, I dont own either) is the Mist line. They are bright and loud. An 18" Mist crash costs about 131.99 as opposed to an A crash which is 244.95. They dont really have levels of quality its all high quality.

User Info Menu

I don't think saluda cymbals sound nearly as good as zildjians or sabians or paistes. I may need to hear them in person to appreciate them but I've been trying to find clips of them that make me go "oooh wow" but have not. I think there is a reason they are not more widely played by professionals - they just don't sound as good or high quality.

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    I don't think saluda cymbals sound nearly as good as zildjians or sabians or paistes. I may need to hear them in person to appreciate them but I've been trying to find clips of them that make me go "oooh wow" but have not. I think there is a reason they are not more widely played by professionals - they just don't sound as good or high quality.
    They have a crude sound (gritty finish to the decay) , because the alloys they use are softer and thinner. In the context of music, some sound very good. Many of the saluda hats I heard were not even up to ZHT quality. In honesty, dream cymbals mop the floor with my saluda. A customs are much cleaner and richer than Saluda.

User Info Menu

130 for a 244 dollar cymbal, and you're saying it's just as high quality? maybe i should check these out!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    130 for a 244 dollar cymbal, and you're saying it's just as high quality? maybe i should check these out!
    You better hear them in person. It may be like a cup of coffee or dark chocolate these kind of cymbals. If you are used to hearing the quality and sound of zildjian or sabian, it will probably take you a while to like this kind of cymbal sound. To me, right now, just hearing them, they don't sound the greatest. I'd recommend hearing in person if at all possible before buying.

User Info Menu

Just because it may not be the sound your looking for doesnt mean its not high quality.

Although I do agree you should try cymbals before you buy them, not many stores carry Saluda Russ, so you may have to buy then try. Mind you they have a trade in program where you send stuff in for trade (mostly drum stuff). So if you have old drum stuff lying around you can trade it in for a new cymbal.

User Info Menu

would you say that the sound samples of saluda cymbals on youtube are reliable?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks to YOU Russ i've been checking out these cymbals....i'm thinking of going with these cymbals as my first upgrade to mine...(no-names). I find them WAAAAAY cheaper than ''the big 3'' (Sabian Zildjian Paiste). The only thing is shipping but i'll see how that goes... lol
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

yeah i didnt even know either till the good people that play them told me! i figured custom meant 3 times as much for the same cymbal because of the "hand made" or "hand hammered" part about it. i like the ones with those crazy swirls on them!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was going to buy saludas a while back and I decided not to risk it and went for the a customs....I dont see a loss in the situation but if I went with the saludas it may have been an epic win...then again it could've been an epic fail.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

thats what i play, but every now and then i get curious about these other brands what they are bringing to the table.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A buddy of mine plays their Nemesis line. From an audience perspective I thought they sounded pretty good in the live mix both outdoors and in smaller clubs. The Nemesis line also has the raw finish with the spiral lathing that looks pretty neat. He endorsed TRX prior to these and now endorses Saluda. He sold all of his Zils that he had been keeping around as back-ups to his TRX cymbals. The TRX stuff kept cracking (he's a heavy hitter), but the Saludas seem to be holding up much better.

User Info Menu

Talking Take Home a Saluda Today!

Russ,

I'd vouch for the customer service of Saluda. It's not just the quality (and that's pretty much debatable! because everyone has their own level of 'quality') but the possibilities that are available when you request your next cymbal (or 'batch of cymbals')

From what I know...Saluda doesn't have any 'starter' cymbals. (Anyone can correct me on this).

I've tried the Diamond Series...and the Mist-X ones. I still have a set of Mist-X as my backups (14" hats...16 crash....20 ride).

Here are some photos and audio:
    http://leighmusician.multiply.com/mu...09_-_Rehearsal

a sample you say?

here....you...go!

* Oh....just to mention....the hats and ride are Saludas....but the BEAUTIFUL SOUNDING crash is a 16" HHX Evolution Crash.

In closing? I'd suggest getting a hold of some (maybe sit in with someone with Saludas in their kit?)....because like any 'foray' into uncharted territory (and it can happen with any cymbal brand!) could likely lead to disappointment.

- Leigh
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 11-24-2009 at 05:17 AM.

User Info Menu

i tried to listen to your clips but it said i had to be a member.
    oh and what do the earthworks and nemesis lines sound like? lovin the prices of them just haven't found a great deal of audio out there for them. and is it possible to get 6" splashes for them cause i don't see that cymbal in those lines on their site. thanks
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i've checked out their web sight, and liked what i saw, now I'm thinkin of making the 90 minute drive to Columbia to check out how they sound.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Take Home a Saluda Today!

Quote Originally Posted by l_e_i_g_h View Post
    Russ,

- Leigh
    Interesting you have your left hi-hat on a remote Leigh. You don't see that very often.

User Info Menu

Holy Moly! I've never even seen one.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default Multiply and Remote Hats

Yep...finally found an ergonomic way to set-up my hats.

Having the hi-hats as two different pieces (the top where the hats are...and the bottom which is the pedal)...enabled me to have the hi-hat pedal the same distance as my bass drum pedal, and the hi-hats (cymbals) closer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Interesting you have your left hi-hat on a remote Leigh. You don't see that very often.

@Russ

Multiply is annoying that way (you couldn't listen if you're not a member). :(

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i tried to listen to your clips but it said i had to be a member.
    oh and what do the earthworks and nemesis lines sound like? lovin the prices of them just haven't found a great deal of audio out there for them. and is it possible to get 6" splashes for them cause i don't see that cymbal in those lines on their site. thanks
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 11-29-2009 at 05:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to commit threadomancy, but I just recorded my Saluda cymbals with my Zoom H4. I just won a new Saluda, a 10" Nemesis China Blast. Its like a splash mixed with a china. I love the sound. I also recorded my 19" Decadence crash. Here it is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zazmopwpfCk"]YouTube- 10" Saluda Nemesis China Blast[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gm8B4BCrCY"]YouTube- Saluda 19" Decadence Crash[/ame]

Hope you enjoy.

User Info Menu

Post Saluda Mist-X - Clips

Thanks for sharing the clips!

That China Blast sounds awesome! :D I'm with you there...lovin' it!

I'll share some of mine too!

20" Saluda Mist-X Ride:

http://youtu.be/O1pkzfHBGgs

&

14" Saluda Mist-X Hi-Hats

http://youtu.be/RuqkfovSSMw

P.S. Isn't resurrecting an old thread acceptable in forums? (rather than creating new threads that discusses the same topic?)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Sorry to commit threadomancy, but I just recorded my Saluda cymbals with my Zoom H4. I just won a new Saluda, a 10" Nemesis China Blast. Its like a splash mixed with a china. I love the sound. I also recorded my 19" Decadence crash. Here it is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zazmopwpfCk"]YouTube- 10" Saluda Nemesis China Blast[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gm8B4BCrCY"]YouTube- Saluda 19" Decadence Crash[/ame]

Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 08-16-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: (the YouTube option in the compose message screen doesn't work well, After posting, All that was there were white boxes...)