Thread: my kit using 4 mics

User Info Menu

Default my kit using 4 mics

Here is a sound clip of what my drums are sounding like these days. Its a DW kit, using a CAD kick drum mic, an ELectrovoice Raven as a snare mic, a CAD gxl300 overhead, and an Apex 435. The placement of the overheads is quite specific- using a method by a pro engineer by the name of Glyn Johns, who has recorded the pros- look him up , and his technique on the 'Net!
    Let me know what you guys think of the sound quality.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/audio/play/80800737/

Thanks,
    russ

User Info Menu

Default Re: my kit using 4 mics

First off, excellent chops.

Question. How are you A/D interfacing? Is this dry or have you carved out any frequencies with your EQ? Are you using the x-y overhead setup for your overhead mics? Where is your bass drum mic located? (Batter or reso location).

Sounds very good. You have a big sound which is key when recording. Nice and dry sound with a great flat response. That would mix great.

Only critique. As is with just about all drums that are mic'ed the hihat is sitting on top of the mix. That can be the hardest part to tame when recording. We have used all types of little tricks to get the hihat down a little.

Once again great mix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    First off, excellent chops.

Question. How are you A/D interfacing? Is this dry or have you carved out any frequencies with your EQ? Are you using the x-y overhead setup for your overhead mics? Where is your bass drum mic located? (Batter or reso location).

Sounds very good. You have a big sound which is key when recording. Nice and dry sound with a great flat response. That would mix great.

Only critique. As is with just about all drums that are mic'ed the hihat is sitting on top of the mix. That can be the hardest part to tame when recording. We have used all types of little tricks to get the hihat down a little.

Once again great mix.
    The A/D conversion is a Protools/ Digidesign 001 interface, using an old Mac, G4. Kick and snare are going thru a mixer, no EQ, but I do have them through a DBX 266 compressor- its on, compressing some, pretty standard settings at this point. There is no EQ at all, on any of the mics, I haven't messed with the editing of the tracks at all, except I panned the OH's, 1 left, 1 right, not fully panned, 70% say.
    1st OH is 40" above the snare, aimed at my kick drum pedal, but above the snare. The 2nd OH is 5' from the floor, near the ride cymbal, 40" from the centre of the snare, firing across the kit, aimed at the hi hat. So its not really an X_Y positioning I"m using, as 1 mic is almost horizontal (the one above the snare) and the other is pretty much vertical (the one at my ride side). Kick mic is shoved into the drum pretty deeply, about 4" away from batter head, snare mic is around 2.5" away from edge of snare, aimed at centre of head.

Thanks for the hi hat tip- I'll see what I can do! That's the kinda critique I'm lookin for.
    I had initially connected a set of CAD mics to all of the toms, but i was pretty displeased with them, so went lookin for other solutions. They may work for others, but weren't for me.
    There is no dampening on the toms, an evans e-ring on the snare, and not very much in the kick drum, just the standard DW pillow.

User Info Menu

While I do think it sounds good solo, I think that because you used a minimal amount of mics some of what makes your playing standout could be over powered by guitars, bass, vocals or whatever else you might throw into the mix. I speak from personal experience from past minimalist setups. Now I have everything in my kit miked individually (except for the crashes and splashes) and am much happier with the results, though I'm not totally happy with the mix but that's because I'm a mixer noob.

User Info Menu

Sounds great FR!

User Info Menu

that was cool

nice 70's sound on the toms

User Info Menu

dang those drums sound perfection. you really can play mate
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

You know what I think. Russ I already knew you had great chops and all your drum kits sound good

User Info Menu

sounds good, Russ. Very clean.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

That Rocked F/R! Nice chops indeed.

User Info Menu

Cool!
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Everything sounds good and well mixed.

Nice work!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Same advice I always give myself; don't forget about your kick during fills. Nice even strokes on the faster patterns. Great consistency of sound.

User Info Menu

Nice drumming...I really really really liked your shuffle groove and fills.

the sound is really nice as well. Something to consider for myself....