Thread: Practicing & time given

User Info Menu

Default Practicing & time given

So, I'm just starting out (2 weeks technically) and I want to try and set aside enough time each week so I can really develop well and see solid improvement.

Do you think that if I can set aside 20 hours a week this will be enough to really grow in the first year? Can't afford lessons from a "pro" but I've got tons of stuff here to learn from.

Being in my mid 30s with a family, that's a hefty commitment. Wish I learned when I was a teen or something.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practicing & time given

20 hours a week is an excellent amount considering how long you've been playing.

User Info Menu

20 hours is great! That's almost 3 hours a day.
    Matt

User Info Menu

As long as you get in at least an hour a day, you'll rapidly improve.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

That's plenty of time. You're going to be great.

User Info Menu

Good to hear. Yeah, I'm so inspired. My whole life I've been saying "I really want to learn to play drums."

Finally, a couple weeks ago I decided to stop making excuses (hey, I'm 36 already). I magically found this forum and I'm thinking "the rest is history."

I know on average I can put in about 3 hours a day to practicing. Heck, I dropped about 30 minutes this morning before heading out for church and I'm about to give another 30+ minutes before getting ready for company (and then 2 hours tonight).

Oh, here's a question. I heard that marathon practice sessions aren't the best. So what do you think is a good section of time per session? I was thinking about 1 hour per session OR is 2-3 hours in one shot still ok?

BTW, 2 weeks ago I was too scared to even sit behind the drum set and I couldn't even work the bass drum pedal right. Today, I'm doing simple beats with HH, bass and snare with some very, very simple tom fills.

Love my drums.

User Info Menu

Practice as much as you feel comfortable. Remember it is not a sprint it is a marathon over your life to learn. A lot of guys on hear are self taught and will be an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge as well. I did not sit behind a trap set my first two years of playing drums when I was younger. My instructors were rigid about rudiments, sheet music, and time signature to a point of a fault. It was good and bad. Got the basics down very well however it took a little longer to unify my feet in relation to my hands that is required on trap. Anyway, rock on and HAVE FUN. That is what it is all about. It is truly therapy for me.

User Info Menu

i once read this somewhere on the forum "practice for results not hours"

it speaks volumes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRed View Post
    My whole life I've been saying "I really want to learn to play drums."

Finally, a couple weeks ago I decided to stop making excuses ...
    Congratulations. You've just made the most important move. You'd be surprised how many people don't even get that far.

A lot of good replies. I'll just add that, if you're putting the practice time in, you will have results. Keep in mind that it will often be hard to see your own progress but trust that it is happening. I say all the time that it's like trying to watch a flower grow.

Good luck and welcome to our family!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Congratulations. You've just made the most important move. You'd be surprised how many people don't even get that far.

A lot of good replies. I'll just add that, if you're putting the practice time in, you will have results. Keep in mind that it will often be hard to see your own progress but trust that it is happening. I say all the time that it's like trying to watch a flower grow.

Good luck and welcome to our family!
    Thanks.

I need to start recording myself now.

But I do see an improvement. Ok, it was easy. When I first sat down I couldn't even do the bass pedal right (double bouncing, leg felt weird, etc). And doing the bass and snare was hilarious.

2 weeks later I got a starter beat going at a fast speed (pulse on bass drum, back beats on snare and 8ths on HH). Even adding simple fills now.

But you're right. I think now that I'm past that initial moment, it will be little more challenging to see the improvements on a day/day and week/week basis.

I'm setting my goals and dividing up my practice into rudiments, beat development, technique focus and all out fun playing with my favorite songs.

User Info Menu

I dont know about other people but for the first 3 -4 years I had to really work out a groove and I needed 30 minute practice sessions. Now if I can imagine it and understand it I can play it.....most of the time, theres always going to be really tough complex patterns but now there a lot easier to learn.

So going off that I would say 3 hours is too much time per day. sure ive been behind my set for a whole day but I mean 3 hours everyday is a waste of time I would stick with 1 hour a day and when your feeling like it play until you drop but you will end up not liking your 3 hour routine in about a month or less. Find another hobby to do with drums if you have that much time. Mines video games. btw if you really enjoy three hours a day then dont listen to me im just saying most people wouldn't and another reccomendation is don't spend the whole time "practicing" have fun and just groove and improv it up.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

I hear you. Actually, I enjoy it. I'm breaking it up. Today I spent some time perfecting my setup, looked at how I'm hitting the drums again, getting real comfortable with some typical rock beats and introduced 3 fills to my practice. Over this week I'll be working hard on all 3 fills until I can knock em down fluidly and with having a complete groove collapse (hahaha whoops).

Perhaps about 3 hours a day is good for now since there's so much to practice, but maybe I take it down a little later. I've just started, so really, I could fill up lots of hours just getting the sticks moving.

I also recorded myself for a couple minutes to hear how choppy/sad I handled those 3 fills. Hopefully, next Monday they'll sound a whole lot smoother.

User Info Menu

i havent been playing much, but when i do play i spend 3 hours give or take.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

RR sounds like you have the right attitude .. and a nice break up of your practice .. I have one piece of advice to add I dont know how 'static' the fills your working on but work on fill patterns not spacific drum's .. so if you normally do your fill rack1 rack2 floor .. next time you do it do it floor rack1 snare .. etc so you get used to doing the pattern anywhere on the kit ..
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    RR sounds like you have the right attitude .. and a nice break up of your practice .. I have one piece of advice to add I dont know how 'static' the fills your working on but work on fill patterns not spacific drum's .. so if you normally do your fill rack1 rack2 floor .. next time you do it do it floor rack1 snare .. etc so you get used to doing the pattern anywhere on the kit ..
    I just get the fill down and make up stuff. So I might go (half bar):

snare, t1, t2, t3, cymbal

then

snare/t3, t1, t2, t1, cymbal

then

t3, snare, t1, snare, cymbal

and so on.

I'm playing with half bar, full bar and 2 bar fills. Before today I was just making up stuff that I liked. Now I'm bringing in fills I see other drummers doing.

Oh, I'm also setting aside some of my time to just bang away and see what comes out. For this time I have no direction or anything. Just playing around. I think this helps get used to the set's positioning and helps unleash creativity.