Thread: Anything on the horizon?

User Info Menu

Default Anything on the horizon?

I'm seriously considering an e-kit to suppliment my accoustic kit. My girlfriend moved in a few months ago and I've noticed I've been playing a lot less because I don't want to drive her nuts.

I've been reading everything and I basically decided I don't really like anything that is currently available. I don't keep up with many of the magazines or the like so I'm curious if anyone has any new models on the horizon.

Basically my wish list is mesh heads, real high hat stand, usb port, quick record, play along songs, rhythym coach, etc.

My understanding is that nothing currently offered between Roland and Yamaha meets those requirements. Is that correct?

So I think my best hope is for either Roland to update the TD-12SV with a newer controller with the features of the TD-9 or that some day Yamaha might go back to mesh heads.

Does anyone have any idea if either of those things are a possibility in the relatively near future? Or should I just bite the bullet and compromise?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anything on the horizon?

I don't know much about e-kits but couldn't you get the Yamaha and then put mesh heads on it that you buy separately?
    Matt

User Info Menu

u cood move ur set to somewhere else, that way you could still pratice
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

You could get the Roland TD-9 kit add a VH-11 and meet everything on your wish list. Except for the dedicated rhythm coach functions.

I have a TD-9 and an RMP-5. But, there's a rhythm coach on the Dr Beat 90 metronomes. It says you can trigger it from the TD-9 output. I don't have one of these but it sounds less expensive than my RMP-5

The TD-9 does have metronome and scope functions so you can check timing; even with the built in play along tracks. I like this a lot.

I still use my RMP-5 for auto up/down speed, quiet count, and other things. I also plug in a cymbal and/or bass trigger sometimes when practicing Stick Control.

I think the Roland TD-9 SX comes with all mesh pads and an CY 12 RC. It's about $2400. So, it's not cheap. I have a TD-9 S/K which fits my needs just fine.

Best bet is to check out the Roland website for specs and features, or other manufacturers site to see what they offer. I'm a little biased towards Roland since that's what I own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    I'm seriously considering an e-kit to suppliment my accoustic kit. My girlfriend moved in a few months ago and I've noticed I've been playing a lot less because I don't want to drive her nuts.

I've been reading everything and I basically decided I don't really like anything that is currently available. I don't keep up with many of the magazines or the like so I'm curious if anyone has any new models on the horizon.

Basically my wish list is mesh heads, real high hat stand, usb port, quick record, play along songs, rhythym coach, etc.

My understanding is that nothing currently offered between Roland and Yamaha meets those requirements. Is that correct?

So I think my best hope is for either Roland to update the TD-12SV with a newer controller with the features of the TD-9 or that some day Yamaha might go back to mesh heads.

Does anyone have any idea if either of those things are a possibility in the relatively near future? Or should I just bite the bullet and compromise?
    Buy a DTXtreme I RHP (real head pad) kit and then update it with the newer III module, cymbals, rack, etc...at least that's what I did..

Here's a pic

User Info Menu

Well I broke down tonight and ordered a Yamaha DTXtreme III Special. I decided to compromise on the mesh heads. From what I've heard the DTXtreme pads aren't horrible so hopefully I made the right compromise.

User Info Menu

Well I broke down tonight and ordered a Yamaha DTXtreme III Special. I decided to compromise on the mesh heads. From what I've heard the DTXtreme pads aren't horrible so hopefully I made the right compromise.
    IMO..you got one of the best e-kits currently available...and when you consider the price..it is the best bang (on the drum) for the buck!...once you get your kit, if you would like I can share some of my user kits with you....just let me know!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    once you get your kit, if you would like I can share some of my user kits with you....just let me know!
    Awesome, thanks! I'm hoping to get it by mid next week.

I literally had the TD-12 in my shopping cart. Then I removed it and put the DTXtreme in. Then I took it out and put the TD-12 back in. That happened about 3 times before I finally pulled the trigger on the DTXtreme. That's how torn I was between the two kits.

User Info Menu

I think you'll be happier with the III...better/more realistic drum sounds IMO, better hardware, bigger pads, etc..the only thing it doesn't have is the mesh heads, but the rubber pads on the III are nice, and if you must have mesh, keep an eye out (ebay) for the DTXtreme I RHP pads (like mine) and get one of those kits for the pads (eventually)...here's a link to an alldata file...you will need to load/save this to a usb device and then load this into the module...not too hard...I have made some changes to some of the kits since this file was created, but it will give you an example of what you can do edit wise with the III..it's a pretty powerful piece of gear!..

http://www.4shared.com/file/14071764.../SW101309.html
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 11-06-2009 at 04:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Well it turns out musicians friend was actually out of stock on the DTXtreme III Special. It said it was in stock when I ordered.

I called them and asked them to cancel the order. They asked if there was anything they could do to get me to wait for it to come in on back order. We settled on a price of $2694 and they are throwing in a Iron Cobra single pedal.

Hmmm.... I really wanted to get it this week but I couldn't pass that deal up!

I did look around a little and it seems like everyone is out of stock. They wouldn't be bringing out the DTXtreme IV already would they? I mean the III has only been out for like a year right?

User Info Menu

Well it turns out musicians friend was actually out of stock on the DTXtreme III Special. It said it was in stock when I ordered.

I called them and asked them to cancel the order. They asked if there was anything they could do to get me to wait for it to come in on back order. We settled on a price of $2694 and they are throwing in a Iron Cobra single pedal.

Hmmm.... I really wanted to get it this week but I couldn't pass that deal up!

I did look around a little and it seems like everyone is out of stock. They wouldn't be bringing out the DTXtreme IV already would they? I mean the III has only been out for like a year right?
    The III has been out for 2 years (pads for 6 yrs.)....and yes, rumor has it that Yamaha will be introducing new e-pads at Winter NAMM...I don't believe the module will change much though, as it already is one of the best ones out there..I do expect a price increase though with the new kit..

User Info Menu

How often does Yamaha update/upgrade their kits? Or maybe the better question is, how far in advance do they announce new versions?

I'm ready to get a DTXpress IV Special, just need to save up, but I would hate to take the plunge only to have a major upgrade be released shortly thereafter.

I'm eager to buy, but not so eager that I couldn't wait a few months for the next generation. Even if it was a little more expensive, I'd have time to save up.

User Info Menu

Yamaha is pretty secretive about upcoming plans...I will say this...I expect several new items based on this statement from their new marketing manager Bob Terry...

"The DTX-MULTI 12 is the first of several new offerings that will be coming from DTX Drums by Yamaha over the next few months. So stay tuned to DTXPERIENCE.com for details of future products that you’re going to want to know about."

Now whether that means a new Dtxpress or not I can't tell...but I do expect new pads for the DTXtreme...I've been hearing this for several months now!.....I would expect we'll start hearing/seeing more around christmas time..Winter NAMM I believe is in January.

User Info Menu

I wondered about this kit. When I first read the thread, I tried looking it up on several sites and they all said it was discontinued.