Thread: New Vintage Snare

User Info Menu

Default New Vintage Snare

Just accquired a new vintage snare drum . It is a '60-'62 Slingerland Artist model 5.5x14. Single ply steam bent maple with solid maple rings. The finish is red sparkle pearl to match my nearly completed Slingy resto project. It is completely original and in excellent condition, even has new old stock slingerland logo remo heads.

I've gone through a ton of different snares searching for a sound that does it for me, and this one is by far the best one I've come accross. The sound is so controlled its not even funny, its loud like a shot gun with a very stecato decay, beautiful vintage woody tone. I've owned 1 other slingerland snare, it was a 3ply mahogany model which sounded amazing, but the new 1ply snare blows it completely out of the water.

It cost me a Gretsch USA custom in trade, but totally worth it, and it will match my kit! As much of a fan of Gretsch as I am, hence the name, Slingerland is slowly starting to become my brand of choice, everything I have played just sounds spectacular and unlike anything out there today.

Imperialstar Guest

Default Re: New Vintage Snare

I would definitely like that! My slingerland memory is spotty, I didn't know they made a steambent snare outside of the radio king line. Solid wood/less glue. That's an excellent find! With the age/densification of the wood over time, it would be like duplicating the sound of a Stradavari now.

Last edited by Imperialstar; 11-03-2009 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

The Artist model started out using the same shells as the radio king, they later were switched to the 3ply shells used in the Deluxe and Student lines. The only other difference from a Radio king was the zoomatic throw off as opposed to the 3 point strainer on the RK. I have even seen these snares refered to as Artist model Radio King, though I don't think that label is correct.

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    The Artist model started out using the same shells as the radio king, they later were switched to the 3ply shells used in the Deluxe and Student lines. The only other difference from a Radio king was the zoomatic throw off as opposed to the 3 point strainer on the RK. I have even seen these snares refered to as Artist model Radio King, though I don't think that label is correct.
    I have no question in my mind why a snare with this shell is Neil Peart's favorite snare of all time. Pretty cool that they offered high end features in a scaled down package.

User Info Menu

I've only played 1 other solid shell snare, a very high end Craviotto that belongs to my neighbor. I'm completely sold, solid is where it's at! I've been planning to build a snare using a vaughncraft solid shell for a while now, now I'm even more excited to do it, just need some cash first.

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I've only played 1 other solid shell snare, a very high end Craviotto that belongs to my neighbor. I'm completely sold, solid is where it's at! I've been planning to build a snare using a vaughncraft solid shell for a while now, now I'm even more excited to do it, just need some cash first.
    Same here...I'd even settle for a Keller shell. Oddly enough, a drum parts seller (I won't mention his name) claimed that you can't tell the difference between a steambent and 6-ply on a recording. I can only assume he said this because he doesn't sell steambent shells.

Steambent, stave and solid have always been interesting to me because they have 90% less (or no) glue at all. As thick as a steambent shell is, it clearly resonates more freely than a ply shell. So with this construction, you can have body and superior attack.

All those endorsements people have, and yet a steam bent Slingerland from 50-60 years ago is what ends up on the record.
    Last edited by Imperialstar; 11-03-2009 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

SAWEET! Nice find.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

man, its that a beautiful drum! great choice!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.