Thread: rythyms to rock or pop

User Info Menu

Default rhythyms to rock or pop

So where can I find some rythyms for my congas for songs on the radios. Videos/ youtubes or anything. Or whats a basic beat conga playyers usually use. I usually play what I feel but I want to know what I'm playing. Its hard to put what Thomas Cruz II to that kind of music. I also find myself playing the same darn beat basically its hard changin it up. Thanks, Ethan.
    Last edited by fishkiller; 11-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: rythyms to rock or pop

Thanks leedy those were good, the last one was the first video I learned from. I guess I just have to learn to incoorporate these rhythyms with the songs. Its easy when it's just by itself. I've learned alot from Nate Torres on youtube, the tumbao and variations with tumba guaguanco, 3/2 & 2/3 claves. I might just have to break out some bucks and get lessons.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: rythyms to rock or pop

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    Thanks leedy those were good, the last one was the first video I learned from. I guess I just have to learn to incoorporate these rhythyms with the songs. Its easy when it's just by itself. I've learned alot from Nate Torres on youtube, the tumbao and variations with tumba guaguanco, 3/2 & 2/3 claves. I might just have to break out some bucks and get lessons.
    Hey, fishkiller, forgive me if I sound a bit presumptuous, but have you taken any kit lessons? If you have, you may have had some exposure to Latin rhythms (I know I did since my drum teacher worked them in on set and hand drums), which may make it easier to transfer from sticks to hands. If you haven't, it'll sharpen your chops on both.

Good luck, 'bro!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

No kit lessons. Just mess around on them when ever I'm around them. I put some beats together last night pretty good, slowed down the tumbao to some music on the radio. I guess my main goal is to play with my boss who does gigs locally. I don't want to be the laughing stalk up on stage playing wrong rhythyms.

User Info Menu

A tumbao will fit into just about any rock/pop song. Look for variations on the rhythm so you aren't playing the same beat every time. There are countless variations on the basic tumbao.

User Info Menu

I have the same challenge ; especially because sometimes I play with and without a drummer.

In general, I am finding the Tumbao to be rally good with variations. So for instance on one measure I will hit the Tumba on "4" and "4and" , then on the next measure, I will reverse it and play the Quinto on "4" and "4and". Usually playing the middle conga on "3and" .. stuff like that. Seems to help a lot to alternate between measures so its not so repetitive. Merenge is also really good. jmho

User Info Menu

Cool Re: rythyms to rock or pop

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    No kit lessons. Just mess around on them when ever I'm around them. I put some beats together last night pretty good, slowed down the tumbao to some music on the radio. I guess my main goal is to play with my boss who does gigs locally. I don't want to be the laughing stalk up on stage playing wrong rhythyms.
    That's where learning the basics can help.

Having said that, practicing along to what's playing on your radio or MP3 player, etc., will help you. One thing i did (and still do) is just turn on the radio and jam with whatever's playing. The music changes often, so you get a bit of a challenge every time, man. Gretschhead is right about not playing the same beat every time, but if you're starting from scratch, you need to get the basic tumbao down before experimenting.

Check drumbum.com since they have Latin beats and conga patterns among their free lessons.

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks bongobro I'll check those out. Found some more good videos on youtube also. Still messing around with tumbao beats and adding my own in with it and then coming back into the tumbao, its been working. Watched the thomas cruz ll agian I'm going to try some rhythms from that video I liked here soon. Endless and lots of practice can't get enough of hearing the sound of the congas.

User Info Menu

Found this one on youtube among others but thought it was helpful for sure.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHEYss29dwg&feature=related"]YouTube- Playing Funk on Conga Drums[/ame]

User Info Menu

The way I picked up some of my rock rhythms was to play with the song. First developing a hand pattern to match the snare and kick pattern. Get that down to memory then add in closed tones, ghosts and slaps to fill in the hat or ride part. Just break it down into sections and learn or make up each part before you try to put the whole beat together.