Thread: Yamaha DTXpress IV Special V2

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha DTXpress IV Special V2

As I posted elsewhere, I'm starting out after 25 years away from the drums. I need to be able to practice without disrupting my family, and eDrums are the only way that's going to happen.

While I can pick up a really basic electronic kit for $500-700, I've sort of been salivating over the Yamaha DTXpress IV Special V2, which I can get online for around $1300. (There are far more expensive models, of course, but even $1300 is really stretching it for me.)

Of course, I could always pick up a "starter" eDrum set and if things really take off, sell it on craigslist and upgrade.

Is anyone here knowledgeable about eDrums? Is there a better bang for less bucks option than the DTXPress IV Special?

-John

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha DTXpress IV Special V2

At the same price as the Yamaha set is the Roland TD-9 S/K. Sticker price of the Roland is actually about $50 cheaper.

I don't know Yamaha, though I briefly played a set at a music store. When I sat at the TD-9, I knew I had to have it.

My advice -- Try them both, if possible.

If you get a chance to try them, then listen thru headphones (take your own if you have them), and listen thru an amp. Hopefully the same amp. Then you'll have a basis for comparison.

Sitting at a set in a music store is a terrible way to get to know a drum kit, especially an electronic set. But, it's probably better than 'web shopping'.

I doubt that you'd go wrong with either set, so take your pick and start bangin' on them.

Damo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiFrancesco View Post
    As I posted elsewhere, I'm starting out after 25 years away from the drums. I need to be able to practice without disrupting my family, and eDrums are the only way that's going to happen.

While I can pick up a really basic electronic kit for $500-700, I've sort of been salivating over the Yamaha DTXpress IV Special V2, which I can get online for around $1300. (There are far more expensive models, of course, but even $1300 is really stretching it for me.)

Of course, I could always pick up a "starter" eDrum set and if things really take off, sell it on craigslist and upgrade.

Is anyone here knowledgeable about eDrums? Is there a better bang for less bucks option than the DTXPress IV Special?

-John
    I sell Roland and Yamaha eDrums and agree with the above. If you can afford the Td9, its your best option.

User Info Menu

I prefer the Yamaha DTXpress IV over the td9...to me the yamaha has more realistic sounds...

User Info Menu

I've played both, and might just end up with one or the other. I like the mesh pads on the TD9, but I really love the high hat on the DTXpress IV. Both really good kits though and you can't go wrong with either.

User Info Menu

If you search YouTube for DTXpress IV, there are some amazing videos of people playing them (and some mediocre ones, of course). There is a set of videos from a couple years ago with two Japanese guys that I think sealed the deal for me.

Now I just need to figure out how to convince my wife to let me buy them. (And by "let me" I mean "not divorce me if I....")