Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The versatility of a large drum kit

Imperialstar Guest

Default The versatility of a large drum kit

I still have a little work to do to finish restoration (more attack heads too) on my 1980's Imperialstar tama. I only have a few cymbals at this time...I'll fix that eventually. I decided to post this because some people freak out over dealing with big kits. Too many drums, hard to reach, hard to haul etc. Well, a big kit isn't just a lot of drums, it's also a mothership. Since none of the drums have been welded togeather, you can reconfigure the kit any number of ways.

1: The whole thing: Cumbersome, old school and can be a pain to play.

2: But what if I decided...I want to pare it down and go all "Ed Shaugnessy"

3. Or what if I said "I'm feelin' like Tommy Aldridge today"

And of course, I could drop it down to a 4-pc at any time. The bottom line is... the kit is there and I like having a few too many drums instead of being locked into just a few. YMMV.
    Last edited by Imperialstar; 11-05-2009 at 10:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The versatility of a large drum kit

The more the merrier..
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    The more the merrier..
    I am waiting for the inevitable "All you need is a 4-pc kit" sure, for some gigs. It's there if I need it. But I like stuff to play on n junk...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialstar View Post
    I am waiting for the inevitable "All you need is a 4-pc kit" sure, for some gigs. It's there if I need it. But I like stuff to play on n junk...
    Not from me, I need at least a 5pc or more for most of what I play.

Lookin' good!

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Not from me, I need at least a 5pc or more for most of what I play.

Lookin' good!
    Technically, with a double pedal, I can pair the Aldridge kit down to a 6-pc. A 5-pc for me has been the minimum standard since the 70's. I like to have the high/medium/low tom effect. Less than that, and I am redistributing what SHOULD be a higher pitched tom bark to a medium or low note. That's like asking a guitarist to skip all the A's. Steve Gadd has always played a nice setup because he uses 10/12/14/16 on most occasions and that covers the spectrum pretty good.
    Last edited by Imperialstar; 11-05-2009 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

An imperialstar eh? That's an interesting looking kit for sure!

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    An imperialstar eh? That's an interesting looking kit for sure!
    Backstory: I got all of the drums in the top pic AND hard cases for a few hundred bucks. It's a resto project. It's also a project to see how I can get the kit to stack up to current kits. With attack 2-ply medium clears, it's a FAR cry from the original 80's warm/thud sound.

I am diggin the Shaughnessy setup. I think it will stay that way for a while.

User Info Menu

That's what I love about big kits. You've got a huge kit if you need it but you can always scale it down to a 6, 5 or even 4 pc. You can make a 4 pc. into a 12 pc.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I have owned both types of setups. The pretty standard(at the time) four piece to the Octa-plus. In fact, had them at the same time for a little while. Each has its own plus and minuses. I can't say that I even had a preference for one over the other as far a playing them, just depended on what kinda music i was playing at the time. For example, playing jazz and big band music, i prefered the smaller kit. rock an roll.....the larger kit. I have used the smaller kit for alot more often for BOTH styles without a problem, but i actually never used the larger for jazz. It just didnt seem to be a fit for me. It's just a personal choice after all.

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    I have owned both types of setups. The pretty standard(at the time) four piece to the Octa-plus. In fact, had them at the same time for a little while. Each has its own plus and minuses. I can't say that I even had a preference for one over the other as far a playing them, just depended on what kinda music i was playing at the time. For example, playing jazz and big band music, i prefered the smaller kit. rock an roll.....the larger kit. I have used the smaller kit for alot more often for BOTH styles without a problem, but i actually never used the larger for jazz. It just didnt seem to be a fit for me. It's just a personal choice after all.
    For me, my only preference is to take the proper tools for the mission. I'd never use more than 4-pc for surf music, 60's pop or other things like that. At the same time, I would not compromise playing Rush on a 4-pc kit. It's great to have a Swiss Army knife to adapt to the job.

User Info Menu

Heck, you can even have TWO drum sets set up at one time! SWEET! haha.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

"All you need is a 4-pc kit"

No, "All You Need is Love".

You can play anything on a 4- pc kit, you just need more creativity, which I'm sorry to say is lacking in a lot of drummers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyringo View Post
    "All you need is a 4-pc kit"

No, "All You Need is Love".

You can play anything on a 4- pc kit, you just need more creativity, which I'm sorry to say is lacking in a lot of drummers.
    SUre, you can play pretty much anything on a 4-piece. But bigger kits give you more sounds to work with
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    SUre, you can play pretty much anything on a 4-piece. But bigger kits give you more sounds to work with
    Really? More sounds? I don't believe you need ten different drums to ger ten different sounds. I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen guys make a 4-pc sound like a bigger kit, plus, like I said, it makes you become more creative.

User Info Menu

two words. Terry. Bozzio.

User Info Menu

Yes I saw him do a clinic, great drummer who doesn't know when to stop adding drums.

User Info Menu

Really? More sounds? I don't believe you need ten different drums to ger ten different sounds. I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen guys make a 4-pc sound like a bigger kit, plus, like I said, it makes you become more creative.
    If you can make a 4-piece sound like a bigger kit, why can't you make a 10-piece sound like a bigger kit?
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    If you can make a 4-piece sound like a bigger kit, why can't you make a 10-piece sound like a bigger kit?
    Matt

User Info Menu

You were waiting for it, and it came: "All you need is a 4-piece."

The 4 piece snobs are actually giving me pangs of GUILT inside whenever I play and enjoy my 7 piece monster, and that shouldn't be! We should be able to play whatever size kit and be happy!

At the same time, us big-kit players should have the chops to be able to rock a 4-piecer all night if we needed to, and we shouldn't overdo the classic Peart run down the toms fill. IF we have the chops and the talent, you 4-piece snobs should just leave us alone, you poopie-heads!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

That's awesome!

Now, what if you feel like Slim Jim Phantom tomorrow?

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

This arguement about smaller kit players being more creative is BS. The drums dont make you more or less creative thats completely determined the drummer's skill level not the size of the kit. Peart, Chambers, Bozzio, and Lang all play huge kits, are you going to say they arent creative?
    I like all the sound options of a large kit. But I gig so much I dont want the hassle of moving one lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    This arguement about smaller kit players being more creative is BS. The drums dont make you more or less creative thats completely determined the drummer's skill level not the size of the kit. Peart, Chambers, Bozzio, and Lang all play huge kits, are you going to say they arent creative?
    I like all the sound options of a large kit. But I gig so much I dont want the hassle of moving one lol!
    We can all play that game, Rich, Williams, Roach, Bonham, I do believe the size of ones kit helps you be more creative. I'm not saying everyone has to play a small kit, I'm saying that's all you need. I've seen guys with huge kits try and use every drum in every song and totally ruin the song even if they play well. I've played bigger kits and did the same thing, plus they are very uncomfortable.
    Try this, if you have 2 mounted toms and 2 floor toms and you're use to using those 4 drums to get your sound, take away 1 mounted tom and 1 floor tom, now you have to more creative to get the same sound as before. It only makes sense to me that having less things to hit will force you to be more creative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialstar View Post
    I still have a little work to do to finish restoration (more attack heads too) on my 1980's Imperialstar tama. I only have a few cymbals at this time...I'll fix that eventually. I decided to post this because some people freak out over dealing with big kits. Too many drums, hard to reach, hard to haul etc. Well, a big kit isn't just a lot of drums, it's also a mothership. Since none of the drums have been welded togeather, you can reconfigure the kit any number of ways.

1: The whole thing: Cumbersome, old school and can be a pain to play.

2: But what if I decided...I want to pare it down and go all "Ed Shaugnessy"

And of course, I could drop it down to a 4-pc at any time. The bottom line is... the kit is there and I like having a few too many drums instead of being locked into just a few. YMMV.
    i am more of 6 piece type of guy, but i would mind having that monster
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

We can all play that game, Rich, Williams, Roach, Bonham, I do believe the size of ones kit helps you be more creative. I'm not saying everyone has to play a small kit, I'm saying that's all you need. I've seen guys with huge kits try and use every drum in every song and totally ruin the song even if they play well. I've played bigger kits and did the same thing,
    Thats the fault of the player not the kit.

Creativity comes from the drummer not the drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Thats the fault of the player not the kit.

Creativity comes from the drummer not the drum.
    Man, you're missing my point, yes you can be creative with a big kit, yes, it's probably EASIER to be creative with a large kit. Of course the creativity comes from the drummer not the drum, that's the point, if you are a good drummer you don't need a lot of drums.