Thread: Jazz Hands!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Jazz Hands!!!!!

So... After years of playing mostly rock, blues etc... I am beginning a foray into jazz drumming...

My question is regarding cymbals... Out of my current collection of pies - I'll be using my 14" Zildjian New Beat hats and Zildjian 20" Medium Ride. Are these cymbals good enough to get me started without hindering technique? I'm concerned the New Beats may be a bit heavy / clangy for jazz...

I plan on picking up some more appropriate cymbals down the road when my budget allows for it.

Opinions? Thoughts?
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz Hands!!!!!

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. You will need a quicker and more responsive set of cymbals..perhaps even go down to a 13".

User Info Menu

Both are fine to get you started. Thin hand hammered is the way to go for jazz, zildjian ks, bosphorus, istanbul, sabain hh, would be good choices to look at.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Both are fine to get you started. Thin hand hammered is the way to go for jazz, zildjian ks, bosphorus, istanbul, sabain hh, would be good choices to look at.
    I figured I would be OK for now with what I have... They are very "all purpose" cymbals I guess...

I will more than likely pick up some Ks If I continue down this path... I may also take a good look at the Dream Bliss line... they are quite a bit less expensive than the Ks but seem to get favorable comparisons.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

Jazz cymbals, hmmm...

Zildjian Constantinoples
    Sabian Artisans and HHX Legacy
    Bosphorous Masters
    Paiste Traditionals and certain Dark Energy
    Istanbul Mel Lewis series

Sabian HH are too clangy...a "no go" for most jazz people.
    Zildjian K's I would stay away from believe it or not. K Customs offer some possibilities with the Dry Complex (I think these are the cymbals Bill Stewart helped create)

Basically you are looking for thin, dry cymbals that have some "wobble" when played and can accept a light crash. Sticks are just as important! Check out the Vic Firth American Jazz series as well as the SD4's.
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks

User Info Menu

New Beats are known for being versatile. Those will definitely get you started.

User Info Menu

Anything is fine to get started.

Personally, I use a 21" Zildjian thin ride from the 70's. It has excellent crashability and a good wobble. It's very easy to play. I can really burn effortlessly with this cymbal. It just seems to create a good bounce, perfect for be-bop.

For hi-hats I use a 80's new beat top for the bottom hat and a thin 70's Zildjian for the top (I'm not sure if it was meant to be a hi-hat or crash). Super washy. Good click.

For a crash use an 18" 80's K crash/ride.

These are not cymbals that I seeked out my any means, they are just the best I've found to date.

Sticks are very important. I use the Vic Firth SD4 Combo. They are maple, wood tip, and slightly smaller than a 7A. Pro Marks Bill Beauford, drummer from YES, signature model are also identical the Vic Firth's SD4 Combo.

Lastly, in order to play jazz well you need to listen to GOOD jazz. Coltrane. Elvin Jones the the freaking man. Some GOOD contemporary jazz drummers to check out are Jeff 'Tain' Watts, Greg Hutchinson, and Brian Blade.

I heard Coltrane 'Impressions when I was in 8th grade, and I've been hooked ever since. It's mind blowing.