Thread: How do I tighten my snare wire?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Question How do I tighten my snare wire?

Cut me some slack I'm only 15,
    I've got a 20 strand Gretsch wire, my cousin tried tuning my snare and he plays bass so that didn't help any. He loosened up the bottom tension rods, but I think I got them back to normal. The tape on each end of the wire is all messed up though and it won't touch the bottom head no matter what I do. Got any advice on that?

User Info Menu

Sounds like u need a new snare....lol

I really don't get what ur saying, but u can tighten a snare by spinning the thing that's connected to the snare configuration..if that helps any.. haha

User Info Menu

To make it easier to understand, whether I flip the switch on the side or not to make the snare sound, the wire is loose and won't touch the bottom head to make the vibration.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

if you look under the switch, you'll see a small metal plate attached to it and it's holding either two strings or a strap, loosen the screws holding the metal plate and pull the strings/strap as tight as you want it, then re-tighten the screws, if you look on the opposite side of the drum, you'll see a similar plate, do the same thing here (note: before you do this, loosen the little knob on your snare lever, then after you're done, tighten it again)
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Thank you eggman, that did the trick.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

my snare is so stupid

the little plastic holds that hold the snare wires to the butt plate broke on both sides and now its only taped on

it still sounds alright tho

but i desperately need a new one

Im thinking Pearl Session Custom
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn