Thread: oh the deception!

User Info Menu

Default oh the deception!

i gotta tell ya, this is one of the greatest scams around. a distribution company lists the msrp of an item, then puts how that msrp(manufacturer's suggested retail price) translates into a street price of usually 3x less than those numbers, and then they put something like '66% SAVINGS! Big Value!' i mean would it ever get to that point of rediculousness where we would pay three times what we are used to from a standard online shop, or will these ruthless salesmen continue to prey on unsuspecting people with this dirty sales technique? do they not at least have the respect to tell us the simple truth that a street price is where it starts, and when it goes down from THAT is when they should say how much we are saving? or must they treat us like we are dropouts of business school? now i know this sounds like the rant of a sour apple, but i aim to raise awareness and knowledge for anyone that believes the difference between msrp and street price is actual savings.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: oh the deception!

I have noticed that a lot too, but I don't think it's a big deal.
    Matt

User Info Menu

As a veteran salesman in the Auto Industry, this is known as a "bump sticker" or "overallowance".. I have been lucky ebough to be employed by a locally owned , downhome boy - turned self mad millionare that does not believe in what we call "guerilla price points. " Its very simple, byshowing an increased "list" price, we can justify showing a larger "discount". These tactics are used to engeage customers in the old "bait and switch" technique. Please believe me when I say that there are Prpfessional Sales Associates in high end retail locations that firmly believe in top notch service, honest, forthright, and good ole fashioned business ethics left on this planet. I would rather sell 20 cars a month at invoice or less and hit target volume bonuses than sell 10 a month and hold 45% profit. I will delelop a retirn customer base due to the unbeatable prices, professional and courteous treatment, as opposed to burying a buyer in their car for 6 years . Just my 2 cents.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

It's an unfortunate fact of life. Just important to know that the regular price is generally anywhere from 25% to 40% off list, depending on the item and go from there.

One thing that is interesting at MF is that you can sometimes find the item at regular price on their site as well. Makes for easy comparison. They also show you the regular price crossed out.

While the % off is the tease, at least the real info is there as well frequently.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

There are a lot of products that use MSRP to give a fake deal. We all know that no matter what you're buying MSRP is always a joke. At least the stores are giving you the real going price and just tricking you into thinking you saved a bunch of money. What's worse is the idiots on Craig's List and eBay who try to sell used gear for nearly new prices and say that they paid MSRP.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

MSRP is like thick makeup, eyeliner and brows on an overdone lady. You need to strip all that off to see what you're really working with.

User Info Menu

i think your forgetting people that run stores and work in stores also need to eat

User Info Menu

well do they need to eat caviar and drink Dom?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

the fact is

you wont get a discount unless you ask

User Info Menu

Clothes are the worst.

al the best...

Larrysperf Guest

Yea well now in Canada we have 4 taxes, PST<GST , hst and fed as in fed up

User Info Menu

As a professional salesmen myself I can see ( some of what you say ) from both sides, now deceptive mark up is just wrong! end of story, But and there is always a but, there is a cost of doing business, sales staff, store inventory, lights etc., and we do need these places to stay in business so we can compare live equipment, but I sleep good at night knowing that i sold my product at a fair price to the customer. So lesson is Shop online and in bricks and mortar buildings to get your best deal, and in these times that is so important.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

In the US the economy operates on the principle of "caveat emptor." This means let the buyer beware. An informed buyer is difficult to take advantage of. As buyers, we have an obligation to understand what we want/need, and to do the leg work necessary to find a good price. I might be willing to choose to pay a higher price if I am getting customer service excellence, but that should be my choice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i think your forgetting people that run stores and work in stores also need to eat
    I think you missed the OP point. I believe what he's getting at is saying that something is discounted 60%, when you're using the MSRP as the original price knowing that NOBODY sells at MSRP, is dishonest.

I don't think anybody has a problem paying what something is worth. I don't. And I'm the cheapest sonofagun you will ever meet. Just don't tinkle on my leg and tell me it's raining.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

You can generally assume that the retail outlet you are purchasing your musical instrument from paid about 40% to 50% off list or MSRP for the item you are buying. Work up from that to see what kind of a deal you are really getting.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Clothes are the worst.

al the best...

and jewelry..........from what I understand there is usually 300% or higher mark-up on these items. Thats why they can afford to have those 75% sales and still make money.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey