Thread: Stripped a lug, and made a discovery.

User Info Menu

Default Stripped a lug, and made a discovery.

So, one of my lugs on my floor tom stripped, and it took me a while to realize that it's different from all the others. I have the faintest, vaguest memory of needing to fix it ~30 years ago.

I assume it will be virtually impossible for me to find a "genuine" replacement that matches the originals. Are lug dimensions standardized so that I can replace it with anything that matches the mounting holes? Or will this turn into a "scavenger hunt" - or am I better off taking it into a music store to have them replace the lug?

-John

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stripped a lug, and made a discovery.

Hi,
    Depends on the manufacturer. There are so many "knock-off" Slingerland, Pearl-style, Ludwig styles on the web. Measure the distance between your mounting holes, note the style you want and go on the web. Generally they run $2.00@.

User Info Menu

You don't need to replace the whole lug. One of my lugs stripped as well, and I took the lug off, pulled it apart, took out the piece that the tension rod went into, went down to GC and got a new one for dirt cheap, and put it back together.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Ordered a new lug online. $2 for the lug, $6 for shipping. :( Still, worth it in the end.