Thread: Snare Wires

User Info Menu

Default Snare Wires

Curious. Do any of you pay much attention to snare wires in the grand scheme of your overall drum sound. I've never taken it that serious in the past because I've always been able to get a good sound with default one with the high end snare drums. But recently I've talked to some guys who swear by some of these high tech jobs.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Good question... We should ask our resident "know it all"...
    Drummer ? any comments ?
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    Good question... We should ask our resident "know it all"...
    Drummer ? any comments ?

I would like to know myself.......Drummer where are you?

Resident know it all......LOL!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

yeah....this is def a q 4 drummer.....i've always gotten a good sound outa default snares too....i can't wait to hear more on this subject

User Info Menu

Snare wires do matter for the sound in the scheme of things. Also the head touching the wire makes the sound a lot a diffrant.

User Info Menu

I have tried the puresound and they do make a big difference for me over stock. The brass wires help with a warmer sound. But if your into jazz than mabey brass would not be to your liking. Another thing that Ive done is take a stock 20 strand snare wire and cut the 4 middle strands off. Puresound does this on some of there series wires and it helps greatly with that stuborn snare buzz from other instruments including your toms. (by keeping the wires off the most resonent part of the head - the middle) I also feel in my experience that the 200 weight reso head is the way to go. The 300 is what shops like to suggest for hard rockers but I find the 200 head lets the snare wires embed themselves into the head better. Also the deeper the snare drum the less snare wires you can get away with. I like the split 20 strand wires from puresound myself (brass) My snare is 5.5 x 14. Grover is suppose to have very good snare wires too. I have not tried them, but they have smooth wires not the twisted that is so common. I have heard that they do tend to break easier. I think its just that the better quality wires out there work better because of the craftmanship that goes into them. They just plain seat better into the reso head than the stock wires do.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-26-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

A lot of people are very particular about their snare wires. I'm sure there's something to it. A while back, I took my snare into a shop and had them put on new heads and wires, and tune it. I told the owner of the drum shop to do whatever he wanted/felt would work best on it. As far as the wires, he put on a Rhythm Tech Active Snare System. To me, the snare never sounded better. Here's the link to see it. Like DAVE talked about, the Rhythm Tech has a "space" in the center of the wires. I would recommend it to anyone!!

http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/a...ive_snare.html
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer4Him
    I would like to know myself.......Drummer where are you?
    Believe it or not, I've never tried them. I've always been able to get a good snare sound so I never felt it was necessary. It's worth mentioning though that I play a top of the line snare and its response is nothing short of amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Believe it or not, I've never tried them. I've always been able to get a good snare sound so I never felt it was necessary. It's worth mentioning though that I play a top of the line snare and its response is nothing short of amazing.
    Give us the info on your snare. (Make, model, size, head choice, etc.) Please. I'm interested to know...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I have tried the puresound and they do make a big difference for me over stock. The brass wires help with a warmer sound. But if your into jazz than mabey brass would not be to your liking. Another thing that Ive done is take a stock 20 strand snare wire and cut the 4 middle strands off. Puresound does this on some of there series wires and it helps greatly with that stuborn snare buzz from other instruments including your toms. (by keeping the wires off the most resonent part of the head - the middle) I also feel in my experience that the 200 weight reso head is the way to go. The 300 is what shops like to suggest for hard rockers but I find the 200 head lets the snare wires embed themselves into the head better. Also the deeper the snare drum the less snare wires you can get away with. I like the split 20 strand wires from puresound myself (brass) My snare is 5.5 x 14. Grover is suppose to have very good snare wires too. I have not tried them, but they have smooth wires not the twisted that is so common. I have heard that they do tend to break easier. I think its just that the better quality wires out there work better because of the craftmanship that goes into them. They just plain seat better into the reso head than the stock wires do.
    so i'm a bit confused. i've never heard of cutting the wires in the middle. what does that do to your sound and why do you do it? does it help with feedback? whats the difference between smooth wires and twisted besides some are smooth and some are twisted?