Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom drums

User Info Menu

Cool Custom drums

Does anybody own them?
    Do you have any opinions on which builders are better and why?
    What makes a good custom drum company?
    If you made custom drums what would be different to the mainstream drums?

If I answered my own questions I'd say:
    I don't but I wish I did.
    I like Spaun because they seem to be the most versatile out of the builders I've seen.
    Good customer service, flexibility.
    I have absolutely no idea, that's probably why I don't make custom drums.

Answer any or all, here's some custom candy for you to look at too.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Custom drums

Matt (Fades Away) will be the 1 to answer this 1!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Yea, he has a beautiful Risen drum set.

In my opinion, I really like Truth custom drums because of how solid they sound and how they make very classy looking drums. I also love how close to their Christian faith they are. Go Truth!

Orange County makes KILLER snares! I love the ringy overtones they give off on the 20+ ply vented snares.

SJC makes some catchy kits as well. I love their ideas in a lot of their kits.

C&C is easily one of my favorites. I love their classic sound, and their acrylics sound better than anyone else's out there.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    In my opinion, I really like Truth custom drums because of how solid they sound and how they make very classy looking drums. I also love how close to their Christian faith they are. Go Truth!
    Agreed, I've been haunting their website since I discovered Aaron Gillespie is affiliated to them. I'm trying to debate if Spaun is the same, they have a host of Christian artists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockalternative View Post
    Agreed, I've been haunting their website since I discovered Aaron Gillespie is affiliated to them. I'm trying to debate if Spaun is the same, they have a host of Christian artists.
    Yea, Aaron is the man. I met him about 8 or 9 times. I gotta sit down and talk music with him and Spencer Chamberlin (vocalist from Underoath for those who don't know) for a solid 45 minutes to an hour. What a funny guy Spencer is. Aaron is the nicest guy though. I ran into him at his acoustic gig where he was playing his stuff from The Almost and some of his Underoath stuff turned acoustic and he saw me in the crowd and said, "Its you! Oh, hey dude! The name's Jason right? I would feel like a moron if I called you "James" or something and it wasn't even your name!" He really does care about his fans and is a down to earth individual who has his faith in the right place.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

If I were to get some custom drums (only one kit) the biggest difference between what I would get and "mainstream" kits is that I would get a 21x18 bass drum.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    Yea, Aaron is the man. I met him about 8 or 9 times. I gotta sit down and talk music with him and Spencer Chamberlin (vocalist from Underoath for those who don't know) for a solid 45 minutes to an hour. What a funny guy Spencer is. Aaron is the nicest guy though. I ran into him at his acoustic gig where he was playing his stuff from The Almost and some of his Underoath stuff turned acoustic and he saw me in the crowd and said, "Its you! Oh, hey dude! The name's Jason right? I would feel like a moron if I called you "James" or something and it wasn't even your name!" He really does care about his fans and is a down to earth individual who has his faith in the right place.
    I'd sell body parts to sit down and talk with Aaron. I really want to know his views on grip. The youtube videos I've seen make it look like he uses French grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    If I were to get some custom drums (only one kit) the biggest difference between what I would get and "mainstream" kits is that I would get a 21x18 bass drum.
    wouldn't a 21 inch be a hard head to find?

User Info Menu

Well if I had enough money to buy a custom kit, I would have enough money to pay Evans to make me a custom size head.
    Matt

User Info Menu

DW now make kicks in 23" the head companies have adapted so i'm sure a 21" would be no problem at all..alot of their catalouges state head sizes from 6"-28"
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

If I was to have custom drums, I would have some Mapex Saturns with an Orion finish.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    AHHH HA HA HA!!!!! Well, Dan is right. I own a Risen Drum kit and i love it. I went with Risen because they had the sound that i wanted. When i was at a point in life were money wasn't a limit for my drum kit i started researching all the different companies, and here's the deciding factor. It comes down to what you want to hear when your stick hits that drum head. Period. I know more about Risen because i own their kit, so i don't know a ton about the features on other custom drum companies. What i like about Risen is the big deep tone and warm sound i get from their drums. It's perfect for my style, if you'd like to hear them recorded you can listen to the song on our myspace called "A Toast to the Fallen" That is a risen kit. I will pm you with more details, but point is, go to these custom shop websites, read about their features and see what sets them apart, also look at their artist line up and GO LISTEN! If you do your research you'll find out which company can provide for you. Also, important side note, IGNORE THE FINISH!!! Any custom drum company can pretty much provide you the dream finish you want, it's the sound that you need to look at.

Here's a couple pics of my kit.

www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I'd love to be able to afford custom drums, but they are mighty expensive!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I'd love to be able to afford custom drums, but they are mighty expensive!
    Me also ! Btw, that RD is a nice looking set !

User Info Menu

i know i just got a new kit but it would be awesome to get a custom kit id go with c&c cause there kits are really classy and they make there own shells
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Me also ! Btw, that RD is a nice looking set !
    Hey thanks! I appreciate it!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

My two favorite custom companies are Truth and SJC with OCDP very close behind. They have very creative looking kits. Most of my favorite drummers have either of the two companies and I absolutely love the sound they give off. But OCDP snares take the cake, the sound phenomenal.

Wish I had 2K for a set..

User Info Menu

Matt, I never get tired of seeing that kit bro!! VERY nice!

Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    DW now make kicks in 23" the head companies have adapted so i'm sure a 21" would be no problem at all..alot of their catalouges state head sizes from 6"-28"
    I have a DW 23" as many of you know. Just waiting for Evans to make a head for it...hopefully they will!

Does anybody own them?
    My .02

Does anybody own them?

Yes, I own DWs. Any company who lets you have control over your options is "custom" to me.

There are so many custom companies out there. But the ones who make their own stuff; shells, hardware, etc. would be at the top of my list. Some companies just get their parts from other builders and assemble. But they may offer custom finishes or what not.

What would set the good apart from the bad would have to be attention to detail and customer service for me. I have heard horror stories about some custom companies who have sold kits with crooked lugs, bad laquer finishes, and bad customer service.

See above answer.

Don't know. Pretty hard to come up with anything that other good custom companies aren't already doing. And if I figure out what that "It" factor is...I wouldn't tell you guys until after I start my own company and become rich! LOL

There are some really good custom companies out there though, a few off the top of my head would be:
    DW (of course...and don't hate).
    Epiarch
    Risen
    OCDP
    Truth
    Shine
    Spaun

And check out Pearl's "Masterworks" line...completely custom and you get that famous Pearl quality, and unmatched customer service!!
    Last edited by RHD03; 11-09-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Does SJC make their own shells? The prices lead me to believe they do.

At some point I'm hoping to build a kit, using Keller shells, with my son. Figure I'll probably get the edges and the snare bed done, but drill the holes myself, finish it (wrap maybe), and put it all together.

Not super custom, but would still be a cool experience for me and the boy. Unfortunately, it can cost a good amount of $ for just a 5 pc. Probably close to $1000.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Does SJC make their own shells? The prices lead me to believe they do.

At some point I'm hoping to build a kit, using Keller shells, with my son. Figure I'll probably get the edges and the snare bed done, but drill the holes myself, finish it (wrap maybe), and put it all together.

Not super custom, but would still be a cool experience for me and the boy. Unfortunately, it can cost a good amount of $ for just a 5 pc. Probably close to $1000.
    no kaos they do not
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

1) I've owned a set of GMS custom drums for ten years. Here are some insights:
    2) There aren't necessarily better builders out there. Any company provides custom drums. Even Ludwig, Gretsch, Tama. With that said, the smaller companies are more flexible and easier to work with directly. Especially if you aren't a big name drummer.
    3) A good drum company will listen to the customer and exceed your expectations.
    4) I don't know what I could do any differently from all the options already out there. I wouldn't want to be a new guy right now...

Other comments:
    Really understand what specs you are looking for. By that I primarily mean shell construction, size, bearing edge, and finish.
    What is it that makes one company's drums sound good to you? Do they have shallower bearing edges, their own shells, etc?
    Most any smaller custom companies can meet the same set of requirements. But that doesn't mean they do it in the same way. What about their hardware? Is it clunky or sleek and functional?

To keep this short, I'll say a few things about my GMS kit. With time, I've been able to look at it more objectively and not just think "wow, I have a sweet custom kit."

Pros (for me):
    Solid brass lug design is unique to GMS. Like Ayotte and some others, you know it's a GMS kit by its lugs. Some custom companies just use stock lugs. I like the distinction.
    8-ply construction and 45 deg BE's gives off a nice tone AND allows you to hit hard when needed. Meaning you have a good dynamic range and tuning is pretty easy.
    Finish options are really nice.

Cons:
    Their own RIMS type mount requires smalls L-arms to mount.
    Drums are HEAVY with brass hardware and 8 plies.
    I went with a conservative green stain and would have preferred a gloss sparkle or something a little more "unique".

Good luck on your kit.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

i have a beautiful 8x13 keller maple TREEHOUSE custom snare with tube lugs and trick throw. it is fantastic. however not any better "quallity" over any of my other high end factory snares.

User Info Menu

If I did go with a custom company, and that's a big if. It would probably be Truth Drums.
    Their artist roster has a lot more of the bands I want to sound like. Heavy, fat, but not too huge.

SJC has more of a pop punk line up, Risen is more pop-ish, OCDP just doesn't seem that popular except with Barker disciples.

Now I need 3000 bones or an endorsement deal.

User Info Menu

This thread inspired me to check out more custom companies. I must say Spaun drums is a very interesting company. Sound is important, but IMO when it comes to custom kits a midline kit sounds like a custom kit (assuming its the same material, plies ect...) so it comes down to finish. Spaun is very innovative in that department. The vented snares and split snares very cool. Im loving the hybrid kits (maple/acrylic) and the swiss cheese kits are very cool as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This thread inspired me to check out more custom companies. I must say Spaun drums is a very interesting company. Sound is important, but IMO when it comes to custom kits a midline kit sounds like a custom kit (assuming its the same material, plies ect...) so it comes down to finish. Spaun is very innovative in that department. The vented snares and split snares very cool. Im loving the hybrid kits (maple/acrylic) and the swiss cheese kits are very cool as well.
    those swiss cheese vents were on a kit modern drummer reviewed a while ago, I don't remember what they said but that's when I first saw Spaun. I'm looking into some of their snares. They have some acrylics and metal stuff that is mainstream stock and pretty cheap from most major retailers.