i am in the market for new drumheads.
    which remos?
    FIBERSKYN, NUSKYN or SKYNDEEP
    i'm a beginner.
    thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: remo conga drumheads

Hello R42,
    I prefer real skin over plastic any day but when the weather is bad during the winter months I have a set of Remo Nuskyns tucked I'll throw on to get me through the wet months. I have a set of Evans that are so ringy I can't even give them away! Real cow skin is my favorite on wooden congas and mule or water buffalo is great on fiberglass. If your going to chose a plastic head depending on which congas you have you may want to take your rims to the shop with you to make sure the heads fits.
    L4C

User Info Menu

thanks for the advice.
    it is appreciated.

User Info Menu

i am torn between the fiber and nuskyn's.

User Info Menu

Fiber skins are too papery in my opinion, everytime I hit the drum I feel like my had is going to rip right through the head. I can never seem to get a solid feeling stroke on a fiber. The nuskyn on the other hand has a great feel to it, solid and feels more durable. Nuskyn has that synthetic sound, but with about a third of the ring that the Evans have. I will always suggest cow skin for congas, but if you must go synthetic Nuskyn is the only one I would go with.

User Info Menu

Luv4congas so the mule or water buffalo really sound good on the fiberglass congas. I have two congas with original heads one is original NewJersey model LP and the other matador. I'm thinking about switching them if its worth it. Also who has the best pricing on these heads. My 11" drum has a Nuskyn on it and sounds really good so if the buffalo will make that much of a difference I'm down.

User Info Menu

*deleted*
    Last edited by Gretschhead; 11-10-2009 at 06:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    Luv4congas so the mule or water buffalo really sound good on the fiberglass congas. I have two congas with original heads one is original NewJersey model LP and the other matador. I'm thinking about switching them if its worth it. Also who has the best pricing on these heads. My 11" drum has a Nuskyn on it and sounds really good so if the buffalo will make that much of a difference I'm down.
    LP sells buffalo hides, if you go that route get the "hand picked" they are the best quality. You can order them from pretty much all of the big music stores.

There are only a hand full of guys who sell mule skins, L&H percussion, JCR, and El Grecco, the guy in Greece.

User Info Menu

I have the FiberSkyns and really like them. Hear is a video.. these sound just like mine.. I really like the feel as well and they are very, very tough. The more you use them, the better they feel..IMHO.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhinK1QhdTM"]YouTube- G&SRS PERCUSSION DEMO[/ame]

User Info Menu

what kind of skins are on the aspires?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    Fishkiller, here is my experience....The fiberglass congas below had 35 year old mules on them that sounded sweet but stretched to the point of adding washers to the lugs just to tune. I replaced with high quality cow that sounded ok at first but the more they cured the more they lost projection so I tried some Lp hand picks "water Buffalo" and was surprised on how good they sounded so to this day all three congas still have hand picks.
    The bottom pic show the cow just installed on the tumba and conga, the top is the quinto

http://www.drumchat.com/attachment.p...1&d=1228411347

http://www.drumchat.com/picture.php?...pictureid=1544

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ranger42 View Post
    what kind of skins are on the aspires?
    Water buffalo

User Info Menu

Re: remo drumheads
    by ranger42 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:20 am

i guess it really comes down to personal preference.
    however, seeing as i am a beginner i am not quite sure what that preference is yet.
    all the musicians i have spoken to, including my teacher, play both.

i currently have the aspires, does that make a difference as skins go?
    i just want to be able to enhance my skills without having to worry about tuning.

User Info Menu

The best skins for aspires are what they come with, not all congas are easy to get after market heads for, they just dont fit or you have to speacial order 6 to 8 weeks but a set of Lp Classics you'll have know problems.

User Info Menu

remo makes skins for the quinto and the conga in the aspire line.
    i guess i will keep the stock skin on my tumba.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: remo conga drumheads

I have a FiberSkyn2 on my Remo Pancho Sanchez tumba, which I purchased as a display model in 2006. I have had no problems with sound (it sounds much the same as the water buffalo skins on my CP quintos and congas) or tuning (almost never have to retune or detune it between gigs), but there was a scuff on top that I'm keeping an eye on as I play. Admittedly a scuff like that could do a number on any drumhead, but so far, so good...

I had trouble getting a FiberSkyn for my fiberglass CP quinto, so you may have to stay with what you started with unless you know how to install your own, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck