Thread: maybe joining a new band

User Info Menu

Default maybe joining a new band

ok so i found this punk band that needs a drummer, now ive only been playing around 2-3 years, but in a band already, but its slower stuff, and im scared stiff! i want to play with these guys, but i dunno if im gonna be fast enuff--they said as long as i can play they'll work with me on the speed, but im still a bit nervous about it, dont wanna waste ppl's time ya know--

so im gonna meet em soon and see how it goes, ive been working on my punk beats and trying to get faster slower using my metronome, but i dont have much time--ive also been experimenting with heel up and heel down on the bass drum, which is where my main trouble is (of course)

anyone have any suggestions? advice? miracles?

thanks for any i apperciate it all
    chris in indy
    oh their name is the 12 o clock flashers they have a myspace site if you wanna check em out, kinda nofx meets dropkick murphy's, theyre pretty good

User Info Menu

I'd actually suggest concentrating more on your hand speed... A lot of the time, in punk anyway, it's not your bass thats holding you back but your hands.

Here's a little exercise I do:

Find a tempo you can play 16ths at with one hand.
    Set it on your metronome and start it.
    Subdivide through all the note values starting at quarters and working your way up. i.e. (quarters [1,2,3,4], 8ths [1+2+3+4+], triplets, 16ths, pentuplets, sextuplets, 32nds) and then back down again.

Once you can play it comfortably at that tempo, you should notch it up 5 or 10 bpm.

Hope that helps,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

thanks man good idea--ive actually been doin a bit of that, but not like that ill try it out

User Info Menu

play along with some pennywise.

User Info Menu

Yeah, most of hardcore/punk requires fast hand-speed, and not much else. I'd say the other best way you could practice, would be to crack out some tabs for some Punk that they might ask you to play and bang along with it until you know how to play it.

Songs like Blink 182 - Dammit & Rock Show will probably get you out of trouble. Maybe some Living End - Prisoner of Society. Get out your fav. Punk and just go nuts.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?