Thread: Anyone ever soundproof a room?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone ever soundproof a room?

Looking to soundproof my drum room. Anyone ever done this with success. I would like to be able to play without worrying about disturbing the neighbors. I live in a duplex and my drums are in the basement. It's not to noticeable but I think they are hearing the bass and snare more than anything. Good thing I know them...
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone ever soundproof a room?

Well soundproofing a room is a very expensive and very long job. A 100% soundproof room is near impossible, unless you spend $10,000 or more. You can reduce the noise level for a lot less money and time, but bare in mind it is near impossible to fully reduce noise.

The bass drum will be a low end frequency, typically these are the hardest to get rid of, but it's not impossible. The mid and highs (Your snare, toms, cymbals) are a lot easier to reduce. Audimute makes some great products that can reduce noise...They sell these blanket things which can reduce the noise level by up to 60% and will also provide better acoustics. Unless you want to tear down walls etc, the best you can hope for is a 50ish% reduction.

Some more info on the room size etc and conditions would be helpful
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Most drum rooms involved building a room within a room.Building a platform or false floor w/ foam or rubber in between the platform and the floor really help's.What this does is keep the noise from vibrating into the floor and then spreading out into the walls and up into the rest of the building. If you build walls and a ceiling they say to chaulk all the frame joints and frame area's before you mount the drywall. I put foam carpet padding in between the frame studs and glued acoustic ceiling tile on the inside of the room and door to help deaden the sound and don't forget to foam and carpet the floor. The room I made was large enough to hold 2 sets set by side as this was used as a teaching room in a store. Of course there really is hard to make a room sound proof but this worked out pretty good. I've had people build a wall and ceiling around their drums w/ cardboard and this works ok . It really boils down to how hard you play when you practice and how sound proof you need it. I followed an article from Modern Drummer , but you could go to the Auralex website. They sell foam for sound and have lots of idea's and plans to follow. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

check out sheetrock for insulation in the walls, and put a thick blanket or carpet on the outer side for heavy decibel reduction. sheetrock is very affordable and widely available.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This subject comes up fairly often here, and i ALWAYS refer people to Green Glue. google it, and go to their website. They have the best database of results from trying several different types of materials and combinations. Also, if you go to the search tab on the top of the DrumChat website, and enter "Soundproofing" and i promise you'll find more info than you can deal with ha ha! Good luck with the project!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I once used a bunch of 10 dollar sleeping bags to reduce noise in my practice area...still cost a few hundred bucks but it reduced the noise enough to not piss everyone off.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

can't wait till Chazbo or DamageDrummer hit up this thread, they are both experienced with this kinda thing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

gonefishin is too
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I have a concrete floor as my drums are in a finished basement. I have wood planks half way up the wall that are laid over the drywall. And a drop ceiling with exposed studs behind it. I can treat the walls with sounds sheets of some sort like the audi mute stuff. I think what is happening is that the sound is vibrating through he ceiling. and shaking the floors.

Can anyone suggest anything to help diminish the sound through a drop ceiling. I guess I could take it down and sheetrock the ceiling with some audimute behind it, but thats a little more than I can chew right now...
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats