Thread: Berklee Drumset Audition

User Info Menu

Default Berklee Drumset Audition

I'm applying to the Berklee School of Music to study drumset, and they gave me the guidelines so I can start getting ready for the placement audition. I thought that everyone might find it interesting so I wanted to post the link here:

http://www.berklee.edu/admissions/ge...l?action=print

It's pretty basic. From what I understand the audition isn't as much about getting in to the school as it is to determine where they will place you in the individual lessons and various ensembles. I'm excited, but I'm not going to lie, I'm also kind of shaking in my boots here.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Default Re: Berklee Drumset Audition

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    I'm applying to the Berklee School of Music to study drumset, and they gave me the guidelines so I can start getting ready for the placement audition. I thought that everyone might find it interesting so I wanted to post the link here:

http://www.berklee.edu/admissions/ge...l?action=print

It's pretty basic. From what I understand the audition isn't as much about getting in to the school as it is to determine where they will place you in the individual lessons and various ensembles. I'm excited, but I'm not going to lie, I'm also kind of shaking in my boots here.
    Very cool for you, good luck, and very cool that you posted the link. My understanding is also that they are looking for where you are less than whether you get in. A colleague (music teacher who went there) told me, in regards to my son possibly going, that getting in isn't that bad. But staying in is more challenging.

Once again, good luck!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I took that placement back in 93. I was way too young and full of ansgt. I will tell you this my friend. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! PLEASE dont end up like me, 33 years old and filled with regret because I spent too much time running the streets and thought that my natural talent would carry me into the ranks of the elite there. Just advice, young grasshopper. Take your shot, and have faith in yourself. Put 110 % into that audition. LIVE, EAT, SLEEP with your sticks and you will do fine. Good luck, my friend!!
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Funk-Soldier View Post
    I took that placement back in 93. I was way too young and full of ansgt. I will tell you this my friend. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! PLEASE dont end up like me, 33 years old and filled with regret because I spent too much time running the streets and thought that my natural talent would carry me into the ranks of the elite there. Just advice, young grasshopper. Take your shot, and have faith in yourself. Put 110 % into that audition. LIVE, EAT, SLEEP with your sticks and you will do fine. Good luck, my friend!!
    That, sir, is exactly my plan. I'm still trying to figure out what to play for my prepared piece, though.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

User Info Menu

i thought about applying for berklee after i finish my audio video production degree in about 2 years or so GOOD LUCK MAN!!!
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    That, sir, is exactly my plan. I'm still trying to figure out what to play for my prepared piece, though.
    Are they still requiring you to perform 3 seperate, short pieces??
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

"Pray & Play."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Funk-Soldier View Post
    Are they still requiring you to perform 3 seperate, short pieces??
    From reading the guidelines it sounds like it might just be one prepared piece, but I need to talk to an admissions advisor about that. It sounds like they will have me do some improv along with an ensemble they'll have there, probably over a blues progression and a jazz piece.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Berklee, does anyone know offhand if the jazz trombonist Phill Woods is still there? I was fortunate to meet him at a clinic years ago and play in the band that he used for the session. Talk about a great teacher and a great time.

User Info Menu

I auditioned, got accepted, and ended up going to engineering school. Probably one of the better decisions I made.

User Info Menu

Isn't Phil Woods a saxophone player? (and an amazing one, too.)

User Info Menu

Keys, you are so absolutely right........dont know what I was thinking, i actually meant Phil Wilson........gawd, I jus hate gettin old........lol

User Info Menu

DT3, don't worry. They most likely aren't looking for technical abilities as much as they are for reliability, and you being organized. Make sure you're well prepared for your audition, make it there ON TIME (or a little early is possible), bring extra sticks, probably a good idea to bring your own pedals and cymbals, because heaps of the time school ones are crap.

Just make sure you're prepared and take things you don't even think you'll need. And as long as you have the groove, you'll be fine. The audition for the music school I'm at was easy lol

Just remember this -- people will want to get musicians which are reliable. Doesn't matter too much if you're not Akira Jimbo or anything. You can be the most technically crazy player on the planet, but that doesn't matter. If you're not reliable and organized, people won't want to hire you.
    Last edited by xweasel; 11-10-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

So, sorry to revitalize a completely dead thread but I wanted to give everyone an update. I auditioned for Berklee, and the audition was a complete technical disaster, nothing worked, I couldn't play my prepared piece, etc. I ended up getting in, but when I saw the tuition fees for Berklee I started looking at other options. I ended up applying to and getting accepted to Musicians Institute in Los Angeles, and have actually just finished moving to LA and I start at Musicians Institute later this month. So, thank you very much to everyone that gave me advice, but as we all expected the audition did not go as planned at all.

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting accepted to both places! Looks like you'll be hanging out in Cali for a while? Welcome to da west coast! LA's a lively place to live! I'm up north of you so we're neighbors.

User Info Menu

Hey DT, thanks for posting this thread. My daughter Caitlin has been looking at Berklee for a few years. I agree on the tuition....YIKES! I appreciate you posting the requirements on here.

Good luck at MI. I went there back in the late 80's and it was a great experience! Have a fun time, be safe and definitely steal everything you can from everyone you study with.
    Last edited by Kaliguitar; 09-09-2010 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Way cool...........as already suggested, practice and when the audition comes just relax and have fun.

Let us know how you make out and best of luck.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliguitar View Post
    Hey DT, thanks for posting this thread. My daughter Caitlin has been looking at Berklee for a few years. I agree on the tuition....YIKES! I appreciate you posting the requirements on here.

Good luck at MI. I went there back in the late 80's and it was a great experience! Have a fun time, be safe and definitely steal everything you can from everyone you study with.
    Berkelee isn't the only music college. Hit me up if you want to know more options.

User Info Menu

Dude that's tight! Berklee is one I'm looking at as well, most likely gonna stay home though. But we'll see. Maybe we"ll meet up or something haha
    "On the road to success there are no shortcuts."

"It's not the years you play, it's the hours." -Mark Zonder

User Info Menu

wow that is intense as a pure rock drummer id fail on the swing stuff

User Info Menu

Best of luck dude! what I'd do to go to Berklee! :P

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

I'm a Berklee graduate . If you need to know anything , feel free to ask.

One thing I will say now, though , if you don't already know, is that Berklee isn't just a drum school , it's a music school , and if they accept you , various core music classes ,such as harmony , arranging and ear training , are compulsory , so it is in your best interests to be furthering your music theory knowledge before your studies begin there . If you need to know more about these classes , again , feel free to ask.
    Last edited by stanhandler; 10-11-2010 at 05:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    Keys, you are so absolutely right........dont know what I was thinking, i actually meant Phil Wilson........gawd, I jus hate gettin old........lol

I remember watching Phil getting blown away by a very young Roy Hargrove on the bandstand one night around 20 years ago at Berklee. Phil put on a smile and kept saying " who the f??? is this kid ?"