Thread: Older Gon Bops vs. new Gon Bops

User Info Menu

Default Older Gon Bops vs. new Gon Bops

Seems like everyone loves the sound of the classic older Gon Bops. Are the newer Bops not as nice sounding. If so why , is it made of different wood. Just curious. I wish I could play some and hear what they sound like.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Older Gon Bops vs. new Gon Bops

The old drums were completely handmade. The hardware is excellent quality, quality wood, and some of the nicest skins I've ever come across. A lot of the sound has to do with the aging of the wood though, a 40 year old drum is going to have loads of warmth to it. Unfortunately the glue used on these drums was not the best quality, it is rare to find an old gon bop without splits or repaired splits. Luckily this problem is an easy fix and the only downside to these drums that I've found.

As for the new Gon Bops, they are certainly nice drums. The stuff made overseas is on par with the mid-ranged LP, Pearl, Meinl, etc. The hardware is nice, I especially like the round traditional rims that they use. The heads are decent out of the box which is a big factor in this range of drum.

The high end California series are all handmade by Akbar, a former drum builder from the original Valje days and was the owner of Sol congas before it went out of business. The shape of the drums are slightly different than the old drums, redesigned by Akbar to include all of the pros of the old GBs and none of the cons. The construction is top notch. They are custom order only and they have a bit of a wait time. Everything about the California series are top notch, probably the best non-boutique drums out there. They come with a hefty price tag though.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Older Gon Bops vs. new Gon Bops

Cool thanks. Saw a few different styles on craigslist some newer and some older.