Thread: Good thrones?

User Info Menu

Default Good thrones?

I'm starting to look around for good thrones.

The one I have is ok. It's probably a cheap one and it wobbles a little.

Being a bigger guy, I'm looking for something a little more comfortable.

Anyway, what are a couple thrones worth buying?

Want to start making my to-buy list.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good thrones?

I understand completely RR. I started on a basic throne too. I found a Ludwig throne at a local music store that had a nice tractor seat, and the seat screws up and down, so it's very stable. I got it for about $65 about a year and a half ago. You can find thrones in that catagory, or you can go with a Roc N Soc throne, which is a bit more expensive, but Roc N Soc is the gold standard in tractor seat thrones. Also Pork Pie thrones are excellent thrones too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Roc n Soc Lunar. Really sturdy and secure. I'm 6.0' 230lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

The Roc n Soc Lunar is about $155 at GC. That's not too bad if it is indeed a great throne.

Would you recommend one with a back to it?
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Yes, I do have the back rest to it also. Bought separately a couple of months later. Before I got this throne I had just a generic throne that came with my kit. I could only practice for about 1/2 hour or so before I started to feel discomfort. Now I routinely find myself drumming for 2 plus hours without realizing the time. It's easily the most comfortable seat in the house next to my recliner. Also it doesn't bounce up and down while you play like other hydraulic thrones do. I find that to be distracting in having to try and time my bounces with the beat. Unless that doesn't bother you. Probably my best investment drum-wise. Definitely pricey but will be the last throne you will need. Usually we get what we pay, or not pay for.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I am a big pork pie fan. I love my pork pie throne. I am 6'4" and 215 lbs.

User Info Menu

I am not a big guy, but I will chime in to sing praises to the Roc-N-Soc. It comes out to like $200 or so once you throw on the backrest but, as stated by wolvie56, you'll be able to play endlessly while sitting on this thing. This is absolutely the best drum throne on the market.

I used to use a generic throne as well and after 30 minutes or so my lower back would hurt, my butt would hurt, and I'd have to stop playing. The Roc-N-Soc has eliminated both problems and I've played for 6+ hours in a day before without feeling any discomfort at any point. Definitely get the backrest as this will ensure you keep proper posture. Not only will it keep you from getting back pain while playing that day, but it'll also keep you from injuring your back in the long run.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I'm also a proud Roc N Soc user. I have two of them. Both are the standard swivel type. I didn't care for the hydro version because it doesn't go high enough. I've had one of them for 10 + years now and it is still awesome.

User Info Menu

I'm 6'3", 95kg (210lbs), and I use a Pearl D-70W with a seat that won't stop wobbling, haha (can't afford a new one).

A Pork Pie or a Roc 'n Soc throne would be excellent. Perhaps a Tama Ergo-rider with a backrest, or a Pearl Roadster.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

thanks guys.

I'm putting that on top of list. Now that I'm practicing more, my current cheap throne is bothering me (discomfort, wobble, etc).
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Im also looking for another throne. Right now I prefer the Pork Pie over the Roc N Soc.

I think the Pork Pie has a softer seat than the other.It was priced at around 160.00
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I use a Tama Ergo Rider, solid as a rock and very comfy (I'm 6'3", 240lb). I think it was around $100, add a bit more if you want the back rest.

User Info Menu

Might i suggest an OCDP drum throne? It looks exactly like the Pork Pie drum throne but the cushion offers much more support, as it is thicker. I think the Roc n Soc is a nice choice as well but with the may it is shaped you are forced to sit farther back in the seat. I've learned that sitting more the the edge and straightening your back will help back problems, that is unless you have a back rest to your seat. I find this OCDP throne a cheaper, better alternative.

User Info Menu

I use the same Roc N Soc Lunar throne wolvie56 posted up. Some find the "5 point leg" a bit cumbersome around tight spaces but I really like how your weight is evenly distributed around the entire circumferance of the throne. I recently added the back rest and should of invested in it earlier when I first purchased the throne. The back rest adds a bit of leverage to the upper torso and it also saves the back during long rehearsals.

The highlight of the Roc N Soc throne for me was the support of the tractor seat against my hamstrings. With the weight of my legs supported by the edge of the throne, my back was allowed to relax during double bass drum fills and the relaxation in my muscles allowed me to play more dynamic.

User Info Menu

I can't say enough good things about the Roc n Soc Lunar. The only negative is that it is difficult to find a place to put it in the car. It does not collapse. However, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I even think it promotes good posture. Get the backrest if you can swing it...it's nice to be able to lean back between songs.

Everyone walks past my set to check out my throne! Careful wearing shorts though....any tractor seat will give you saddle sores. LOL
    When in doubt, leave it out
    http://www.bandmix.com/rhythmstick

User Info Menu

I am a medium sized guy, and I LOVE my Pork Pie throne. Absolutely love it. The thing has been through hell and high water and barely has a scratch on it.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmStick View Post
    I can't say enough good things about the Roc n Soc Lunar. The only negative is that it is difficult to find a place to put it in the car. It does not collapse. However, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I even think it promotes good posture. Get the backrest if you can swing it...it's nice to be able to lean back between songs.

Everyone walks past my set to check out my throne! Careful wearing shorts though....any tractor seat will give you saddle sores. LOL
    Yeah, I bought the Lunar model w/ backrest. It's amazing. Tried the Pork Pie too, but it's not as good IMHO.

I messed around for about 20 min today waiting on something and didn't feel a thing. My old throne would have at least given me a little something to remember it by.

Doing an hour session or so is going to be nothing now. Woo hoo!
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRed View Post
    Yeah, I bought the Lunar model w/ backrest. It's amazing. Tried the Pork Pie too, but it's not as good IMHO.

I messed around for about 20 min today waiting on something and didn't feel a thing. My old throne would have at least given me a little something to remember it by.

Doing an hour session or so is going to be nothing now. Woo hoo!
    That's too funny. My old throne sit in the corner of the garage collecting dust.

User Info Menu

I use a seat I found in a Grizzlie Industries catalog a few years ago. They are $42.50 now. I paid $35 for mine. Seats of this quality are selling for well over $125 in the music stores and on line. I love mine. It is really comfortable and heavy duty. This is the best for the money your going to find.

http://grizzly.com/products/Guitar-D...-s-Stool/H5965
    Last edited by VIbes; 11-20-2009 at 07:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I use a seat I found in a Grizzlie Industries catalog a few years ago. They are $42.50 now. I paid $35 for mine. Seats of this quality are selling for well over $125 in the music stores and on line. I love mine. It is really comfortable and heavy duty. This is the best for the money your going to find.

http://grizzly.com/products/Guitar-D...-s-Stool/H5965
    Really? thats awesome, for that price you cant go wrong, im in need of a new seat( my squeaks like crazy) might just have to go for that one
    Sabian-Remo-PDP