Thread: stock skins????

User Info Menu

Default stock skins????

stock skins vs. after market skins on the bottom side of toms and snare?
    how much of a difference does everybody feel that this makes in sound and tune?

User Info Menu

Depends on the kit you buy...(oh brother, here I go on another DW rant)....a lot of the top-end kits come with good, brand-name heads on them.....take DW, for example...(heh)...the heads on all new DW kits are specially made for DW by Remo....they're basically clear Ambassadors on the bottoms, but with the DW logo emblazoned on them....and the batter heads are also clear Ambassadors, but with a strip of brush coating around the edge of the head....BUT.....I actually prefer my DWs with a straight set of clear Ambassadors with no coating....but if your drums have cheap resonant heads on them, putting good heads (i.e., Remo, Evans, et al) on them will make a huge difference.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

This man knows what he's on about. The Pearl Pro-Tone heads on my kit aren't the greatest stock heads, and I'm looking forward to replacing them after purchasing certain new equipment.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    This man knows what he's on about. The Pearl Pro-Tone heads on my kit aren't the greatest stock heads, and I'm looking forward to replacing them after purchasing certain new equipment.

HB58
    First thing I did when I got most recent Pearl kit was change skins. Made it sound like a completely different kit. It's definitely worth it.

User Info Menu

Cool stock skins?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Depends on the kit you buy...(oh brother, here I go on another DW rant)....a lot of the top-end kits come with good, brand-name heads on them.....take DW, for example...(heh)...the heads on all new DW kits are specially made for DW by Remo....they're basically clear Ambassadors on the bottoms, but with the DW logo emblazoned on them....and the batter heads are also clear Ambassadors, but with a strip of brush coating around the edge of the head....BUT.....I actually prefer my DWs with a straight set of clear Ambassadors with no coating....but if your drums have cheap resonant heads on them, putting good heads (i.e., Remo, Evans, et al) on them will make a huge difference.
    BTW, buddies, check BTG's set in his thread "Old Band Pics" and you'll see the set-up he's just described!

The idea here is no different than replacing the stock (to-a-price) tires on a new car with better-performing tires...a few bucks can make a huge difference...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

This one's for you BB!

User Info Menu

I have a set of Remo Pinstripes on my kit right now, but I will soon be going back to the single-ply Ambassadors......the kit just plain sounds better with single-ply heads. I used Pinstripes in the days of the Metallica tribute band because they are a two-ply head and a lot more durable than the straight Ambassadors, and they could take the extra pounding associated with heavier music.....I am no longer in that band, so I will be changing back soon.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I've got pinstripes, and thinking of shifting to something coated (Attack heads maybe).

Any suggestions for resonant heads? I suppose I should really get something decent, but no ideas.

I play predominantly metal and punk, but I love my toms to be open and sing (hence when I've got cash, I'll change over from pinstripes).

User Info Menu

remo clear diplomat for resonance on toms and hazy diplomat for snare side

User Info Menu

and i use coated pinstripes on top of toms with fibre skin on my snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: stock skins????

good heads for toms would be evans EC2 or G2, and Remo Emperors. i, preferably, like the sound of 2-ply heads on my toms and single-ply on my snare (and bass drum)

User Info Menu

how are the evans hydrolic heads?
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

Depends on what you start out with. I think all the higher end drums have good heads on them, just without the normal names printed on them. The Mapex UT heads are nice, but if you get a Mapex kit with the UX heads then trash them and get better aftermarket heads. Same goes for any manufacturer.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I have the stock reso's on all my toms and snare, they are G1's clears. They project nicely on the Catalina Birch.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I have never changed the stock reso heads on my kit either, never really say a need too. They are 2 mil clear mylar and they don't wear out as far as I can tell. Can't see wasting money for no gain!