Thread: skyndeep

User Info Menu

Default skyndeep

does anyone have any experience with these heads?

User Info Menu

Default Re: skyndeep

i've been so conflicted as to what synthetics i am going to replace my skins with.
    i think i'm just going to have my teacher decided after my lesson tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: skyndeep

Hey ranger, have you played any congas with artificial heads? I play natural heads (water buffalo) on my CPs and, naturally, my Remo tumba has a FiberSkyn II head (pun intended?). The sound quality is different, and as leedy2 says, you have to slap the real skins a bit harder and use different hand positions to get sounds out of them than you will with the FiberSkyn (or in your case the SkynDeep). Listen to both and play them both. If you're going with synthetics, they'll be different in sound but having played 'em both, I dig the sounds I get out of them all!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Ranger42 I second (or third) with Leedy and BongoBro although if you get synthetics it doesn't mean you have to turn your raw hides in. I like to switch up my heads every now and then, it makes it feel like I got a new set of drums!
    Buy some, try it out if you don't like them you can always sell them (if their Remos) I keep my Nuskyns for the really damp weather but nothing can get into your soul like properly tuned rawhide. I have not tried Skyndeeps yet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N8wgDoAa0U"]YouTube- Miguel Leon playing 1 Conga with Remo Conga Head[/ame]
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

skyndeeps...what a difference.