Thread: Porcaro Bo Diddley/halftime shuffle.

User Info Menu

Default Porcaro Bo Diddley/halftime shuffle.

Hi!
    I´m not a very technical drummer, but I can play a lot of styles/time signatures/beats including "Babylon Sisters"-type half time shuffles sufficiently good and fluent for most listeners... but WHAT`S WITH THE PORCARO/ROSANNA HALF TIME/BO DIDDLEY SHUFFLE??? Of course Porcaro was a genious, but I just can´t seem to do it even half decent. The ghost notes sound awful, the tempo gets uneven, and somewhere in the second part of the bass drum Bo Diddley-pattern something goes terribly wrong every time. I have tried, trust me. So, can someone direct me in the right way, or has someone experienced the same problems and gotten over it OR IS IT JUST ME? I have practiced, so any hints or tips are most welcome! (Like "practice more"...)
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Porcaro Bo Diddley/halftime shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by signpost View Post
    Hi!
    I´m not a very technical drummer, but I can play a lot of styles/time signatures/beats including "Babylon Sisters"-type half time shuffles sufficiently good and fluent for most listeners... but WHAT`S WITH THE PORCARO/ROSANNA HALF TIME/BO DIDDLEY SHUFFLE??? Of course Porcaro was a genious, but I just can´t seem to do it even half decent. The ghost notes sound awful, the tempo gets uneven, and somewhere in the second part of the bass drum Bo Diddley-pattern something goes terribly wrong every time. I have tried, trust me. So, can someone direct me in the right way, or has someone experienced the same problems and gotten over it OR IS IT JUST ME? I have practiced, so any hints or tips are most welcome! (Like "practice more"...)
    Cheers!
    Work on the snare and hi-hat first, and get them sussed out. After that, slowly ad the kick. That's what I did, and I would say I could play it pretty decently.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Thanks, I´ll try it. Stupid thing is that I can play it rather well to my ears without drums by tapping on my legs with my hands and play the bass drum pattern on the floor. What do you call that deficiency?

User Info Menu

It's all in the ghosting. The quiet notes have to be "very" quiet "and visa versa. Then it has to groove "real" hard. Practice makes perfect!

User Info Menu

pratcise triplets with alternating single and double hits, swap lead hands and get em fast and smooth.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

those ghost notes are the real tough part of that groove. I finally managed to nail the fool in the rain groove but I still cant work those ghost notes in there. I figure that when I finally have the beat down to where it's automatic I can work on fitting the ghost notes in there. It's tough, just keep practicing, very very slowly.. triplets between the snare and hats ..

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your kind responses! I think the difficulty for me lies in the combination of the ghost notes and the "Bo Diddley" bas drum pattern. I´ll try to follow your advices and will always keep in mind that: PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

User Info Menu

I'm with you, signpost. That shuffle still has me licked. I've pretty much figured it's one that I'm not going to be able to pull off in the limited time I give it for trying.

It's all my bad. I admit I'm not putting enough effort or time into.

Good luck, man!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here is the creator of that groove, the great Bernard Purdie, doing it.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07bUXq09bw&feature=related"]YouTube- Bernard "Pretty" Purdie: Purdie Shuffle (Part 2)[/ame]

User Info Menu

hahahaha

That has to be one of the best YouTube vids ever. LOL
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Hey, this is funny. I went out to rehearse at a friends place about 10 miles outside town. I thought that I´d left a pair of sticks there, but couldn´t find them after getting there (still haven´t found them anywhere..?). My proper rehearsal room is on other side of town from where I were, so what´s the option, stores closed? Well, you unscrew the handle of a plumber´s helper and saw off a broomstick... After laughing my way through "Highway Star" (ever tried playing that with a plumber´s helper handle and sawed off broom?) the singer insisted that we should try "Rosanna". I said no, but the band persisted. And guess what... I nearly nailed that darn song... and on the next rehearsal with my proper sticks it went like clockwork. Haven´t been practising very much... oh, the sweet mystery of learning (?) stuff! What do you make of it? :D

User Info Menu

Haha good on ya for nailing it I love that rhythm myself. First time I started at it... I got annoyed lol. But once you have it right, it sounds awesome!

User Info Menu

broom stick and plunger handle? pics or it didnt happen.....LMAO ,that had to be fun

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Damn! Maybe I should try using a broom stick and plumbers handle to work out this darn jazz groove I've been working on.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

did anybody notice in that vid. that his mounted toms are backwards? the smaller one is on the right,and the larger one is on the left. thats pretty wild .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Damn! Maybe I should try using a broom stick and plumbers handle to work out this darn jazz groove I've been working on.
    I´ll send them to U!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    broom stick and plunger handle? pics or it didnt happen.....LMAO ,that had to be fun
    Coming...