Thread: If you had to pick a drum book ...

User Info Menu

Wink If you had to pick a drum book ...

Hi everyone, thanks for having me here in this forum. I've bee following the threads for a while and thought it is fun to join. I hope that I can contribute some of my experience in future posts. Well I think I start my first thread with a nice question that's been haunting me for quite a while. Imagine you are arrested for crimes against music and are sentenced to spend several months on a remote tropical island practicing drums. You are only allowed to pick one drum (instruction) book. Which one would it be?

I moved from Europe to Australia a couple of years ago with only one bag. From all of my books I only took one: Stick Control. As boring as it sounds, but my drumming (on cushions, tables etc.) totaly improved.

Make your pick
    Cheeers

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you had to pick a drum book ...

This one:

Oh I forgot to welcome you! Welcome to the friendlist drum forum around!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by late8; 11-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I have both of those books and just started playing. I think I'd take 4-way coordination over stick control. But I'm a newbie, so perhaps I know little.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Tommy Igoe: Groove Essentials.

Either that or Lalo Davila's book on rudiment snare solos.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

~~Zildjian League~~

User Info Menu

Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials and Charley Wilcoxon's Wrist & Finger Stroke Control for the Advanced Drummer
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: If you had to pick a drum book ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trommler View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks for having me here in this forum. I've bee following the threads for a while and thought it is fun to join. I hope that I can contribute some of my experience in future posts. Well I think I start my first thread with a nice question that's been haunting me for quite a while. Imagine you are arrested for crimes against music and are sentenced to spend several months on a remote tropical island practicing drums. You are only allowed to pick one drum (instruction) book. Which one would it be?

I moved from Europe to Australia a couple of years ago with only one bag. From all of my books I only took one: Stick Control. As boring as it sounds, but my drumming (on cushions, tables etc.) totaly improved.

Make your pick
    Cheeers
    Hey, Trommler, welcome aboard...I have used the Rock Drummer's Cookbook late8 recommended, but if I was arrested for crimes against percussivity, I would use the Ted Reed Progressive Steps on Syncopation on that desert island. It helped me in both set play and in hand drumming!

Cheers, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Just started stick control so we'll see, but 4-way looks interesting.

User Info Menu

Seeing that I would be on a tropical island I would have to go with something with an island influence. I'd go with "The Essence of Afro-Cuban Percussion and Drum Set". This book would keep me well occupied as there are tons of latin/afro-carribean styles to learn, and once they are mastered I could move on to the conga parts, then bongo, then timbale, and so on.

User Info Menu

WOW, so many good books.......Frank always pushed the Moeller Technique. I think this would also be a good choice.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I like Groove Essentials too, but I'd want a TV or laptop w/unlimited power on that Island to watch it.

Of course, if I'm stranded on a tropical island and find a tropical island girl, all of this book nonsense is out the window.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

I remember asking Frank to recommend me a book to get into Jazz drfumming and he recommeneded this, Stick control by George Stone. I still mean to get it as ive heard from other members aswel its pretty awesome!

http://library.davesabine.com/upload...861%29_001.jpg

User Info Menu

I vote for Stick Control for building chops, Syncopation for reading and independence. I cut my teeth using this book:

I can't believe it's still in print. It is a good way to learn common patterns and styles and apply them to the tracks on the included CD. Of course it was a cassette when I bought the book!
    When in doubt, leave it out
    http://www.bandmix.com/rhythmstick

User Info Menu

Realistic Rock by Carmine Appice

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, Trommler, welcome aboard...I have used the Rock Drummer's Cookbook late8 recommended, but if I was arrested for crimes against percussivity, I would use the Ted Reed Progressive Steps on Syncopation on that desert island. It helped me in both set play and in hand drumming!

Cheers, mate!
    +1 on that

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. It seems this is a nice collection of essential books now. I already own quite a few of them already but some are totally new to me. I will look into some of them in the future, that's for sure. Cheers

User Info Menu

My choice would be "Time Functioning patterns" by Gary Chaffee.

That book shows you how to play literally any bass drum combination against any ride ostinato, gives a more comprehensive (and difficult) jazz coordination foundation than any book Ive ever seen, and it also introduces you to linear drumming.

User Info Menu

Syncopation for the Modern Drummer.
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks