Thread: Do you consider room acoustics when tuning?

User Info Menu

Default Do you consider room acoustics when tuning?

Hi!

What are your thoughts?
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you consider room acoustics when tuning?

Welcome to Drum Chat cKracKen!

Room acoustics will always come into play when you tune your drums, simply because the sound that is heard is affected by the room. If you move your drums from one room to another, you will hear the difference. Some rooms have bare floors, while others are carpeted, and some rooms have furniture, while others might have none. When gigging, it will be the same thing. Each room will be different based on the shape of the room, and the things in the room.

Now, having said that, do I have to measure the acoustics of the room? No, I just tune the drums to sound good in that environment.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As PB said, there's no way to not let room acoustics affect your tuning. It's going to be what sounds good in the room you tune it in. When you're gigging, the tone might be completely different. For some gigs I do dampen my drums, but that's about the extent of it.

User Info Menu

Room acoustics affect how much dampening I use, but not the tuning. Every show I give my drums a quick tune after I've set them up, and before the sound tech starts doing the line check I hit the drums a few times to see how much they're reverberating in the space of the room. If they're too boomy, then I pop some moongels on the snare and toms - closer to the rim for light muffling, closer to the center for heavy muffling. That's normally enough to adjust to any given room.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Thx Pastor Bob!

Right, muffling should be affected the most by room acoustics, but for some drums I sometimes change tuning, for example, in open space I'll tune my snare a little bit lower than in a LEDE room, just a matter of taste.

Thx for the inputs
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

lol i like to think that my drums are always tuned... i just (adjust them ) to each room that i play them in .