Thread: Starting to break down 1st song - need advice

User Info Menu

Question Starting to break down 1st song - need advice

Hi guys,

I've decided to try to break down a simpler song I like to get used to the process and figure out how to play it. However, being my first time, I'm not sure what I do.

Do you get sheet music and write it all down or go a guitar tabs thing or? Also is there software for this stuff?

Trying to break down "In the Hands of God" by the Newsboys. The first half of the song is just bass (1/3) and snare (2/4) and I think I have most of the cymbal hits down but then I forget from there.

Also, is there any way to either pull out the drums from the audio file OR minimize the other music at all.

Anyway, thanks for any replies.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starting to break down 1st song - need advice

Well, I used to always get my drum tabs from www.911tabs.com
    The site works well. I prefer sheet music myself but if you're just starting it would be easier to work out the tabs.
    Can you read sheet music?
    I also have a program called guitar pro 5. You might have heard of it. Although the name suggests it is about guitars, drums can also be written out on this program in sheet music form. But most importantly for what I use it for is to download guitar pro files (they are the size of a word document so it doesn't take long). You can do this on 911tabs. You can then open up the file downloaded in guitar pro if you have the software. It displays all the different tracks (guitar, bass, drums etc) you can mute tracks, play back the tracks besides heeps more. When you play back the tracks it will sound like a MIDI file.
    I think you can download a demo of guitar pro for free from the web. A demo is all you need really.
    I use it for practicing. I have an electronic kit so with my aux cable I connect my laptop with GP running, mute the drum track on a GP song file, have my laptop on a chair so I can read the music it's gotta be one of the best and easiest way for practicing songs!!!
    You can also adjust the speed of the song if it's too fast to start off with.
    All the best mate!

User Info Menu

You can use Tabtrax to make your own tabs or sheets, but if you want a more professional software you can use finale (thow is a little bit difficult). I use to transribe songs on Tabtrax print them and then see them on paper and write them on finale and print them again.

Drumming till my arms and feet go dead!!!

User Info Menu

okay i am not that good at drums BUT i do have a passion for it even though i have only been playing for a year now, and i have broken down and have a few songs figured out (by tool and avenged sevenfold so i dont completely suck haha) but anyways i do it all by ear. every time i turn on my mp3 i set the song on repeat and start with the bass, i tap along to it and then figure it out on the kit. then i work on adding the hi hat movements, well depending upon which song, i may work on adding the snare movements first.then i wok on fills after i have broken down the song into chorus and verses. i hope this helps, i do it all by ear cuz it allows for much more originality. i can semi read sheet music and tabs. i just choose not to, because i feel as though it doesnt allow for ingenuity. anyways its up to you, this is how i do it. i also realize that i am not established here, but whatever you may take this for what it is worth.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been doing it be ear to break down the song. I just need a good way to write it down as I'll forget at first.

What I did first was to figure out the basic groove and then play that through the whole song. From there I listened for cymbal hits and started working on them. Next up was extra snare work and then fills.

Even with a simple song, it takes many pass through attempts to figure things out.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Tabs are useless, and its so worth it when you can just pick up a easy song and have it 15 minutes later. You have to listen for the drums. Pick a really easy song at first. What I do is take the lyrics and use that to find the FORM. Alot of songs are 8 measures, fill, 8 measures, fill. So figure out all the beats then write them down. I have my own little notation system. Then listen to it again, and section out the different grooves, writing down a fill when you hear one. It will take a long time at first but don't get impatient. Try to listen to each part of the drums separately (like the hi-hat, bass, snare, all together). Figure out if the hi-hat is quarters, eighths, or 16ths. Just listen over and over again. Hope that helps.