Thread: New Set advice

User Info Menu

Default New Set advice

hey guys,
    i have been playing drums for about 3 years now and am considering upgrading my "mutt" of a kit and i was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I currently have a mix matched set which includes a 22" pearl Export bass drum
    a 12" sonor force 2001 rack tom, a 16" yamaha stage advantage custom floor tom and a 13" tama snare.

I was wondering if i should just upgrade the rack tom and snare or should i get a full new kit, id like a 5 piece, but i know the floor tom and bass drum are decent peices. What i was wondering is what a decent upgrade would be to the pearl export line of drums, not something crazy nice like DW, but something a little better sounding, but something i could play some crappy bar with and not worry about my set every 5 minutes.

also i tend to really like the sound of higher toms and was thinking about a set with a 20x20 bass, but i dont want to lose the deepness of a 22" I don't have much experience at this and was wondering if the 20X20 sounds as good or better then a standard 22" bass

any input would be great, oh and i don't need hardware

User Info Menu

i recently heard this kit, and it sounded real nice for the price. and pretty trendy for for the style these days. the kick sounds awesome.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=445677
    you can also get good deal on pearl export and session series drums right now because they are discontinued this year.

User Info Menu

my opinion is that you upgrade your set. Getting a new set is a good idea too, but i think if you get a new rack tom and the snare but also kept the old ones and tuned them to have different/odd sounds than how you'd regularly have them tuned that'd be cool. because than you would not just have the normal sound but a new sound too.
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfunkybrother
    also i tend to really like the sound of higher toms and was thinking about a set with a 20x20 bass, but i dont want to lose the deepness of a 22" I don't have much experience at this and was wondering if the 20X20 sounds as good or better then a standard 22" bass
    With the bass drum, the most important aspect of the sound is the amount of air moved. The tension of the head is second though. A 22x16 drum has about 6082 cubic inches of volume, while a 20x20 has 6283 cubic inches. The 20x20 will be louder and will be able to achive a lower note without having to have very loose heads.

Keith

User Info Menu

thx for all the suggestions guys, i really like the gretch catalina set and its definately in my price range. When the money comes around i might poke around sam ash and guitar center and see who wants to sell the set to me more.

User Info Menu

also check with massmusic.net. i know they do 50% off list with pearl, andy might make a similar deal on the gretch kit. the catalina maple and birch kits are also good kits in the same price range. to me they are the best sounding kits you can get fur under a grand.

User Info Menu

i went with the catalina club mod and i lOVE it , the kick sounds like a damn cannon and the toms are so mellow. Thanks for the great advice