Thread: Maracas

User Info Menu

Default Maracas

I have some Maracas I just refinished that I have owned for at least 32 years I know of, probably longer.
    Since I had everything I needed for refinishing from my previous project I thought I would give these a facelift.
    I know these are not as high end as some but wondering the history of these type Maracas. I have some others that are pretty new of the same style. They actually sound really good. Possibly Cuban made? What type wood?
    These had the palm tree ocean type decoration on them.
    Forgot to make a before pic but they were really dark and a little scratched up.

Last edited by VIbes; 11-23-2009 at 08:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Maracas

Those are likely Mexican made, the Cuban ones I have seen are much more round as opposed to egg shape. I'm sure Leedy2 would be better at identifying them than I am though. Typically the round part is made from a hollow gourd, the handle is carved or turned from a local wood, in this case your handles look to me to be made of cedar. They look very well constructed, and I bet they sound pretty great after 30+ years of aging. The resto looks good, very nice job!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Maracas

Your most likely correct Gretchhead. Mexican. I think these were pretty standard in most music stores in the 60's and 70's. Probably imported them by the truck load. The ones I bought a couple of years ago are heavier and have more beads or seeds in them. Higher pitched too. These on here are more mellow but still sound good.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Maracas

Would agree with Gretschhead on the construction on those maracas--but if they've held up that well over 30 years, I don't think refinishing them did then any harm...

Our veteran congueros and bongoseros should help you out, VIbes!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck