Thread: Cat uses wooden African djembe as scratching post! HELP!!!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Cat uses wooden African djembe as scratching post! HELP!!!

To paraphrase Dave Barry, "I am not making this up!" My 18-month-old neutered tomcat, Frankie, prefers my wooden African djembe to his favorite scratching post! Since he and I are good buddies in every other respect, this rules out murder or declawing...

Any suggestions to minimize the cosmetic damage and--more importantly--to keep him from doin' further harm? (You'll be happy to know the scratches haven't affected the djembe's sound!)

Disregard the dates on the photos--my camera dater has gone on the fritz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cat uses wooden African djembe as scratching post! HELP!!!

Yikes! Get a bag for it Bro!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cat uses wooden African djembe as scratching post! HELP!!!

Ouch! You're right, Gretschhead! (At least I can rotate the scratched side away from the audience when I'm playin'!)

The reason I posted this is to share my experience and to keep it from happening to others!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Good tip Bro, I had a dog eat through a talking drum I had once. Watch your dogs with the rawhide heads!

User Info Menu

yes Bongobro, i did learn something...no cats no dogs no wifes with long fingernails around my drums!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Bongo, you're a better man than me. I know some will hate me for this, but my drums come WAY before any animals. Good thing that wasn't my cat and drum.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Just caught my cat the other night just starting in on my djembe, little sucker. Looks like I'll be putting my drum out in the garage before it gets any worse like yours. Its were I play anyway with my congas. I've just been lucky the dog hasn't eating my hemp twine, thats where I draw the line. To many hours into making these drums.

User Info Menu

Hey bongobro is that drum head tight enough, looks like you could add another row of cross string to tighten her up.

User Info Menu

Hey man, i have the exact same problem with my cats, although not with a djambe but with my woodwork class project, but the problem is basically the same. Cats hate citrus so if u squeeze some lemon juice or some oragne juice in to a bowl, mix it with a little water and then apply every now an then to the djambe with kitchen towel then the cat will stay away from it, it also shouldnt do any harm to the wood, also u could make its scratching post more attractive to it that ur djambe by spraying the scratching post with cat nip

User Info Menu

And that's why I don't have pets.
    Matt