Thread: Better Quality recordings

User Info Menu

Default Better Quality recordings

So im not looking to build a full out recording studio right now. but i want to have a better way of connecting my mixer to my laptop to record band practices.

Right now im plugging 1/8" audio cables into 1/4" converters into my right/left line outs. then the audio cables plug into a dual 1/8" to single 1/8" inch converter into the line in on my laptop. yeah way to many converters to make the wrong cables work. and alot of quality lost to this.

My question is, is there anything that i can use to plug my line outs to my laptop in a more simple way? I was looking at a dual 1/4" to usb interface. will this work? or is there anything better?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Better Quality recordings

Check out M-audio firewire solo. Good and relatively cheep and should work if you have a firewire port on your computer. If you do not have a firewire then digi mbox would work very well too and uses USB2.
    Last edited by nucjd; 11-24-2009 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Check out M-audio firewire solo. Good and relatively cheep and should work if you have a firewire port on your computer. If you do not have a firewire then digi mbox would work very well too and uses USB2.
    I would love to buy something like that. but im looking for a temp fix. Would getting a dual 1/4" to 1/8" cable clean my recordings? because i think that having all of the converters and wrong cables is causing some clipping and scratching the sound. and i can get one for like $10. im not looking for awesome recordings, just better ones and im pretty sure having all of the extra crap on the wrong type of cable is ruin it.

once i get a job ill start investing and upgrading. so i dont want to start putting to much money into recording gear until then. but i do want to get rid of this mess lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Well, I am betting your clipping is probably happening at the audio to digital conversion in the computer as the input on the computer is not good for musical recording. I would think the cables would really no have a lot to do with it. Also, what are your levels set at on your mixer. The clipping could be from the mixer as well. Good luck

User Info Menu

If you are looking for a cheap solution to recording the band, Look into a Zoom H2 Digital recorder. I know you probably wouldn't expect it to do much, but sit it in the middle of the room to record surround sound in MP3 format, download it and send each band member a copy to listen. For less than 200, you really can't beat it and it sounds amazing. Look at some vids on youtube, you will be amazed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    If you are looking for a cheap solution to recording the band, Look into a Zoom H2 Digital recorder. I know you probably wouldn't expect it to do much, but sit it in the middle of the room to record surround sound in MP3 format, download it and send each band member a copy to listen. For less than 200, you really can't beat it and it sounds amazing. Look at some vids on youtube, you will be amazed.
    well we already have a mixer and a yamaha digital recorder but i want to connect my mixer to my laptop a little better.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I really do not know of any other cheaper way than the above. Good luck and let us know if you figure out another way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    I really do not know of any other cheaper way than the above. Good luck and let us know if you figure out another way.
    I ended up getting a dual 1/4" to 1/8" which helped alot. and im getting a job really soon so i can start saving for legit recording gear. i figure for $500 i can get started.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Edirol makes a little stereo in and out usb D/A converter for under $75.

The sound card in your laptop is really not good for recording and the Edirol is much better. That's the cheapest remedy I can think of.
    Come out of your mixer main L & R into the edirol and out of the edirol into 2 open in channels of your mixer. You will have to experiment on getting the balance. Same method with any stereo converter.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red