Thread: Mounted Toms

User Info Menu

Default Mounted Toms

I am curious regarding your opinions on mounting toms. On the kick? On a stand? On a rack?

Is it a matter of convenience or sound quality? In a live setting, is the sound quality that much different? Is it just the kick that is affected or is there some effect on the toms themselves?

I personally love to have my toms on stands mostly so the geometry of my kit is more fluid. I can move the kick without affecting the tom location. I don't have a virgin kick, so the shell was already drilled at the factory.

My goal is to eventually get a rack.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mounted Toms

Same here. Im eventually gonna grab a rack system. Im dealing with it for now, partly due to the possibility of snagging Sunbrnt66's Gretsch Catalina Birch. But i have always had boom stands or small stand mounts for toms. I think it adds many more variances for positioning.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

rack! rack! rack!
    oh yeah, and more rack attack!
    was using stands before (2 toms between bass drums) but it never got them as close as the rack did, so im kinda glad i switched.(hence my sheer enthusiasm)
    nothing really wrong with stands, it's just i needed them to be set up different
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I recently had a chance to get my toms off of the bass drum mounts and once I added the blocking plate to the holes that were drilled into the bass shell, the sound from my bass drums improved dramatically. There seems to be more sustain in the bass drums even though I have them muted with pillows.

The tom mounts weighed at least 2-3 lbs. each and having them off of the bass drum shells seemed to have allowed the shells to "breathe" more freely in sound and pitch.

The first pic was how my kit was set up a few months ago with the mounts still attached to the bass drum shells. Second pic shows the BBC-2 blocking plate.

IMO, my bass drums look a little "cleaner" and less cluttered now that the tom mounts are gone.

The advantages I found from mounting my toms on the rack was flexibility. There seems to be countless of positions where I can move my toms and I can tilt them in practically in any angle I want since I used a round pipe rack rail.

I gave up using tripod stands for my entire double bass kit including my HH stand which is folded and held up by having it mounted to left bass drum hoop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I recently had a chance to get my toms off of the bass drum mounts and once I added the blocking plate to the holes that were drilled into the bass shell, the sound from my bass drums improved dramatically. There seems to be more sustain in the bass drums even though I have them muted with pillows.

The tom mounts weighed at least 2-3 lbs. each and having them off of the bass drum shells seemed to have allowed the shells to "breathe" more freely in sound and pitch.

The first pic was how my kit was set up a few months ago with the mounts still attached to the bass drum shells. Second pic shows the BBC-2 blocking plate.

IMO, my bass drums look a little "cleaner" and less cluttered now that the tom mounts are gone.

The advantages I found from mounting my toms on the rack was flexibility. There seems to be countless of positions where I can move my toms and I can tilt them in practically in any angle I want since I used a round pipe rack rail.

I gave up using tripod stands for my entire double bass kit including my HH stand which is folded and held up by having it mounted to left bass drum hoop.
    Ha, your drums seem to be looking to the right. All that's missing are some eyebrows over the ports.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Ha, your drums seem to be looking to the right. All that's missing are some eyebrows over the ports.
    Yeah I had a boom mic stand that lived next to my left bass drum for my snare so I had to swap the port to the right side to make room for for the tripod legs thus leaving room for the kick drum mic boom stand.

User Info Menu

I use an old snare stand for my 13" rack tom, running a 1 up 1 down. I don't know why, I just liked that way it looked on Bonham and Dan Trapps kits, so I tried it, and I like it better then a mount off of the bass.

And obviously, I don't need a rack for 1 tom and 3 cymbals, so that gives you my answer.

User Info Menu

I just have mine mounted on my kick. Less things to carry.

User Info Menu

Ok, so I went to buy a rack today...and boy AM I BUMMED! I found a Pearl Icon 2-sided rack with 6 mounting brackets. A little dusty, but for $100, how could I resist. I took it to my practice compound (really about sums up the place) and took it apart, shined up all the chrome. Looks almost new. One missing wing nut away from perfection....except...

Almost none of my hardware fits the mounts. The posts are either too big to fit or too small to grab. None of my Sonor tom mounts are compatible.

Sooo...I talked to the guy and he has a Gibraltar rack WITH locks that he will sell to me. He has offered to take back the Pearl, but I wonder if I could sell it for more than I paid for it. It is really nice.

And it would be goofy to keep this rack to use with my Mapex Manhattan...