Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to Frank

Larrysperf Guest

Default Tribute to Frank

This thread is to pay tribute to Frank Iacovazzi who left us way to early. I remember him as a friend ,a person that didnt judge but helped in many ways to help us be better people , better drummers. He always had words of praise and encouragement. He will be sadly missed and is missed very much. This thread is to let all know how he influenced you and your memeries of him.Morning Frank
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 11-27-2009 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tribute to Frank

hey i had this idea we could have one thread with like "best of frank quotes" or something like that. anyone interested?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Why not just add them here Russ?

I was very fond of Frank. I always felt like a better musician everytime I read his posts. Truly an inspirational guy, and he is still missed around here.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Frank was very forward sometimes and it would rub some people the wrong way but he wasn't a mean guy or anything. He was just a very experienced drummer who lived a long life and had much experience to base his opinions off of. He also came from the "just quit whining and do what you have to do" frame of thought that I think was more common of his generation (that I so respect). I loved that he brought that to this forum. He also had a very kind heart and was "extremely" passionate about drumming like so many of us here.

Thanks for starting this thread Larry. I miss Frank. I still can't believe he's gone. I hope he's looking down on this smiling and knowing that we still appreciate him.

User Info Menu

I didn't have too many conversations with Frank, but as RHD said, I felt like a better musician every time I read one of his posts. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and I truly regret not getting to know him better.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Being a growing drummer, I really appreciated the depth of knowledge that Frank brought to his posts. Frank saw himself not as simply a drummer, but as a well rounded musician, and many of his posts reflected that thinking. As one who has a thirst to know and to understand how to apply that knowledge, I appreciate the in depth knowledge that Frank offered. I will never forget Frank.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Guys, I joined after Frank. It sounds like he was loved here. I keep seeing his name all over the boards, he must've been an asset to you all. Sorry I didnt get to know him, and for your loss.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Thank you Funky-Soldier. It was far too short a period between Frank being diagnosed with cancer and his passing. It was quite a shock when we learned that he had passed. Frank enjoyed hanging out at Drum Chat so much that his family let us know about his passing. No question that Frank touched lives here, and that he left a hole behind.

Drum Chat is unique in that it is more than a place where people drop off thoughts - we become friends. I am constantly amazed at what details members remember about each other.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Yea Im beginning to get that vibe here. I had wondered exactly how close some of you must have been to have been notified. Now I know. Either way, known or not known to me, any human life lost to the hands of cancer will be missed. It seems everyone everywhere has at some point been touched by that nasty disease.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Funk-Soldier View Post
    known or not known to me, any human life lost to the hands of cancer will be missed. It seems everyone everywhere has at some point been touched by that nasty disease.
    Amen Funky-Soldier, amen.

User Info Menu

He was deeply passionate about his life in [MUSIC] not just drumming, he was old school and that is fine by me. He had an endless amount of learned and studied knowledge of his instrument and his knowledge of big band and jazz was second to none. I was away from the forum for a short while and I really cant believe I missed everything.
    I feel terrible that I was not around and it is another life lesson learned,
    too choked to say anymore, sorry Frank.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

i didn't know him that well unfortunately but i can certainly sympathize with those that did. i was looking over some old posts of his and found this helpful one:

Okay drummers...class is now in session:

The Note: Every note (Whole note, Half note, Quarter note, Eighth note, sixteenth
    note) has a value or how many beats it is worth. Using a simple 4/4 time signature, the top number 4 indicates the number of beats in each measure of music and the bottom numer 4 indcates the note that receives one beat (in this case, the Quarter note). This is very important to understand the function of the Dot.

Many times, the music will alter the value of the notes we play, meaning they will have both increased or decreased values of beats. There needs to be a way to indicate this to the musicians so thay will know what to do. The Dot is placed on right side of a note (Quarter, Eight, whatever) and it adds 1/2 the value of the note onto the note. So, if a Quarter note receives 1 beat, the Dotted Quarter note will now have the value of 1 1/2 beats ( 1 beat + 1/2 beat). A Half note has the value of 2 beats and the Dotted Half note has the value of 3 beats (2 beats + 1 beat). This is the function of the Dot. Placement of the Dot is crucial as well...must be sitting next to the note. If written above or below the note, the Dot then decreases the value of the note...Quarter note with Dot on top or below, decreases the value by 1/2.
    All of this is for those who can read music.

If there is any interest, the follow up topic to this is how do we Count these notes?

Let me know...

Class dismissed.....
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Can we please "sticky" this thread with the RIP Frank thread?

I loved his quit your whining attitude, never rude, just stern and old school as rat put it.He had respect for everyone reguardless of their experience and genre of music.

One thing that truelly amazes me to this day is.....every time I read a post, I will notice Frank in so many members signatures.......just something that puts a lump in my throat to see the respect.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

I loved his quit your whining attitude, never rude, just stern and old school as rat put it.He had respect for everyone reguardless of their experience and genre of music.

One thing that truelly amazes me to this day is.....every time I read a post, I will notice Frank in so many members signatures.......just something that puts a lump in my throat to see the respect.
    He and I talked as we were going threw the same thing and he was a fighter and a gentleman, and was so giving of himself and his knowlage of music was amazing

User Info Menu

That's a good suggestion GF. Consider it done.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tribute to Frank

GF, wonderful idea, and PB, thanks for makin' it happen!

And as you see below, I'm proud to keep Frank's in my sig, too...I loved the guy like a brother, even though we never met in person!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I looked back on my "Noob Says Hello" thread when I first joined DrumChat back in April of '09 and I was overwelmed by the warm and friendly welcome from members here. I was especially touched by Frank's welcome to me. Although everybody extended their friendly "hand" out to me, it was Frank's words in his "welcome" that really showed what kind of man he was. I added his words of welcome to my sig since it "captured" exactly the sentiment I feel whenever I come to DC to hang out with you great people.

I belong to many internet forums but I have never felt so connected to them like I do here at DC with you my brothers and sisters. You are my companions in the drumming world. I've never lost anybody I knew on any internet forums. Although we are strangers to each other, the common bond that Frank help nurture and kindle will always be remembered by those who were touched by Frank.

The Righteous Brothers had it right..."If Heaven Had a Rock and Roll Band...." Frank would be jamming along side of Buddy Rich, and Gene Kupra and the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by late8; 08-23-2017 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tribute to Frank

Still To This Day There Is A Whole In My Soul
    From Da Loss Of "Brother" Frank,
    Not A Day Goes By Dat I Dont Mourn His Passing...
    However Our Souls Seem Somehow Still Connected
    And This Message Prevails From Him To My Inner Soul...
    "Share Yer Passion and Yer Wisdom My Brother,as One Of The "Elders"
    Tis Your Place In The Phamily To Share That Others May Grow
    And Our "ART" Will Grow Amongest This Phamily Because Of It...
    If I Am Remembered....I Live On"

Frank ,Bless You, For Being In My Life
    You Will Never Ever Be Forgotten...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

^beautiful

User Info Menu

It was about a year ago when we met up in Des Moines to share an evening of chat and sharing each others history.

I was traveling and he made the effort to spend a couple hours at my hotel. I miss him. I think there is a thread here that has a picture of us together.

It's been almost four months since his passing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I remember in the shout box one day where Frank and I were chatting and we had chatted when it was morning his time and then chatted again just before he went to bed some hours later. I remember him saying 'that he started his day chatting to me and how fitting it was to end the day chatting to me, before bed. Frank was a friend that I unfortunately never met in person.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

why did he leave us i had so many questions and things i wanted to show him. in the spirit of optimism as i'm sure he would tell me, i'm just gonna take it as a life lesson to never take any one person for granted because you never know what stop they get off on when you two are on a train together. if that makes any sense..
    Last edited by Russ; 12-27-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest