Thread: Bargain PDP CX or Mapex Pro

User Info Menu

Default Bargain PDP CX or Mapex Pro

First post on the board and appreciate what I have seen so far...

I have an opportunity to buy a new Pacific CX with hardware for $700. However, before I knew about this deal, I was leaning to a Mapex Pro kit that could be over $1000.

Depending on where you read, it does seem that Mapex is slightly favored. Also the Mapex hardware seems better to me. There have been instances of hardware issues for the PDP kit. However, my mind keeps on going back to what I consider a pretty good deal. What I save on the different I would probably be able to affored cases sooner and maybe half a cymbal or other accessories. These would not be played out of the house that much (6 x per year) for I have a nice Roland kit. The reason for the purchase is to have an acoustic kit for when I need it. I have a 70's Rogers kit that I do not want to take out anymore.

So go with the Pacifc CS now or wait for the Mapex? My timeframe to buy is 6 months, but I am getting itchy for this.

d4H

User Info Menu

If you aren't going to be gigging with the kit, and just want something to bash around on, I'd go with the cheaper option.

However, if you are an Audiophile like myself and want your drums to sound as best as they possibly can, then I'd suggest going with the Mapex.

The Mapex to me would be the better all round option, but if you want to save a couple of bucks just for a practice acoustic kit, then the PDP would be your choice.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

GO FOR THE MAPEX!
    I have a mapex pro-m and i love it, the shells handle constant travel really well too
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

yea, i would say go with the mapex.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

well if you want a drumset for cheap that you won't have to really worry about messing up, go with pdp, if you want a nice high-quality set that you plan on using for many years to come, go with the mapex...but I think you should go with a Gretsch Catalina...very nice set... (haha beat you to it funky)
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Made a decision and went with the Pacific CX at GC.

The drums actually would not be used that many times out each year. But what started this is that I have a 70's Rogers blue onyx kit that I don't want to scratch up anymore. I plan on restoring it to look as best as possible. If that is sold maybe then I can get my better A kit...

Besides, need to watch the budget with 2 kids close to college.

d4H

User Info Menu

be sure to check all the bearing edges and check the roundness. these are the 2 main quality issues i hear about pdp.
    but seriously you should have checked the gretsch catalina.

User Info Menu

No Mapex

But if you only need a practice kit then it's not that big of a deal
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Yes funkymcstain, I've heard of those complaints too. To check the eveness of the edges for each side, is this the correct way (?):

Place the shell with no heads on a flat surface and shine a light inside. The light should optimally be equal all around the drum. How much uneveness is acceptable for a kit in this price range?

For out of round, I would assume the same diagnal measurement all around.

Any other construction issues to check other than cosmetic?

I've heard of people checking the pitch or natural resonance of a shell. Any suggestion for checking this?

Thanks,

d4H

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum4Him
    Made a decision and went with the Pacific CX at GC.

The drums actually would not be used that many times out each year. But what started this is that I have a 70's Rogers blue onyx kit that I don't want to scratch up anymore. I plan on restoring it to look as best as possible. If that is sold maybe then I can get my better A kit...

Besides, need to watch the budget with 2 kids close to college.

d4H
    good choice, PDP and DW are best
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!