Thread: Cow Skin heads

User Info Menu

Default Cow Skin heads

Can I ask for an opinion of a source or store that sell cow skins on drum Chat? Is that against the rules? just hope to get an opinion because percussionist only have a hand full of sources in the whole world to get skins from.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cow Skin heads

Rhythm Traders, here in good old Portland Oregon. They carry steer and water buffalo. They may be able to get mule or others but I've never asked. They are OR's only five star and the nicest bunch of musicians I've ever met. I play their master series ash requinto, quinto and tumba.
    Last edited by drummer; 11-28-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Commercial Link

User Info Menu

Whoa Leedy Thanks! Ask and you shall receive. Congafly, How do you like your Rhythm Traders congas? Don't you have to build them or is that an option?
    L4C

User Info Menu

They do have a build your own kit. Asian oak I with chrome hardware; their "mambo" series DYI. I first got the ash requinto and the tumba as part of a trade for work and an old drum kit I had.
    Recently I felt I had gotten skilled enough to warrent getting a third drum. This time I took my expirience with me and tried everything in the store. I played Meinl Marathon, LP Matador, Tycoon Master Handcrafted, Gon Bops Tumbao Pro and Rhythm Traders Mambo. Now, granted all of these are siam oak and I'm comparing them to a ash shell. So perhaps no comparison. However they all had buffalo skins of comprable quality. I tuned all the drums to the same pitch and spent about a hour and a half all together playing them. They all had good qualities and I thought the Meinl and Tycoon sounded similar and the Matador, Gon Bop and Mambo sounded similar. None of them to MY ear had the clarity of tone that the ash did. Big base and snappy slaps. I would like to hear them with some steer skins to see how that changes them. That will have to wait though$$! I say all this because my expirience with congas is limited to the past year. I felt a little explanation was due before I said they are so awesome!!

User Info Menu

The Mambo Series looks nice, what color? The Master Series looks pretty cool too. I bet your Mambos would sound good with some steer or cow, the nice thing about theses types of skins is that the older they get, the more you play them the sound turns from good to great to awesome! But they can get costly with shipping which brings me to my original reason for this thread....JC Music on ebay has an awesome looking cow skin in the pic with free shipping but I'm not sure if thats the one you would get or is it just a sample. I emailed but with no reply. It looks like the skins I get but a little cheaper, smooth with no flaws, dent, scratches or gristle at lease from the picture.

User Info Menu

Actually L4C I have the Masters Ash Series not the Mambo. I would think the only down side to ordering skins online would be not being able to inspect them yourself. You have to rely on the person filling the order to pick an appropriate thickness for your drum and a skin that's consistant in it thickness. Good luck in your search!!

User Info Menu

Question Re: Cow Skin heads

I tried to send an e-mail to Fritz Wurth in Germany with the mail info I found here. I got an error message and the mail was not sent. I live in Norway, and thought I could save some on the shipping. But that does not really matter. I have two vintage Gon Bops that needs new skins. The problem with getting any kind of percussion gear from the US, is finding people that will ship to Europe. I would also like to get premounted skins. The list of US-dealers is pretty long, so if someone knows a dealer that sells premounted cowskins and ships to Europa, that would be very helpful.
    Greetings from new Cat on the Forum.