Thread: evans hydraulic skins

User Info Menu

Default evans hydraulic skins

this might be a daft question but do you tune a hydraulic skin the same as a normal one considering they are oil filled? just bought an evans to try out and wanted to check first?
    cheers in advance guys..
    those that know... understand...those that dont ...never will !!: :[

User Info Menu

Default Re: evans hydraulic skins

Welcome to the forum! Yes, tune it like a regular head. What are you using for the reso (bottom head)? I'm using Evans Hydra over Evans G1 (single ply) and the botton reso was dialed in at 80 on a DD (drum dial) but I found that was a bit too low. I tuned the reso up to 85 and now I have this nice warm tone with a short focused decay. I don't dampen any of my toms that have the Evans hydra BTW.
    Last edited by late8; 12-02-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarafication

User Info Menu

thanks late8..yeah im using evans all round.. g1 reso heads and g2 on top but im trying a hydra as ive heard quite a few good reports about them..ive only bought one to try before buying others but im guessing your using them all round?.do they wear the same as normal heads?.many thanks for the advice... cant wait to get and try it out..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob1973 View Post
    thanks late8..yeah im using evans all round.. g1 reso heads and g2 on top but im trying a hydra as ive heard quite a few good reports about them..ive only bought one to try before buying others but im guessing your using them all round?.do they wear the same as normal heads?.many thanks for the advice... cant wait to get and try it out..
    They are wearing great! I've had them on for nearly one year now. I'm using them on the 10", 12" 14" and 16" FT. Here's a pic of the hydraulic heads. I haven't tried the blue Evans hydraulic yet but I will soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

That looks like a cracking set up ...from this picture they dont look worn at all considering they are 12 months old!...got 1 for my 16" FT..will check it out for feel, but going by yours a think a full set of tom heads will be arriving soon.....!!

User Info Menu

That looks like a cracking set up ...from this picture they dont look worn at all considering they are 12 months old!...got 1 for my 16" FT..will check it out for feel, but going by yours a think a full set of tom heads will be arriving soon.....!!
    Thanks mate! Let us know when you got it hooped up and if you need help tuning...bump up your thread with questions so we can help. I'm going to order another full set myself since I like them so much. The feel from your floor tom will be something to look forward to rob1973. I think the Evans Hydraulics gives a good bounce with the stick because of double ply and the oil that's sandwiched in between the plys. I like the tone the most though. My toms have that wet '70s sound that I've listened to when I was just a young lad. It's funny how those small sounds can stick in the mind to be called up later in life.

User Info Menu

Here's close up pics of the Evans Hydraulic heads after a year. Just as a note. The neighbor boy (16yrs) across the way came by the other day and told me he knew how to play. 5 minutes into banging the 5A sticks into the edge of the head, I stepped in and stopped the mayhem. The heads held up to the beating to say the least.
    Pics of:
    10"
    12"

User Info Menu

Here's: the 16" FT head

User Info Menu

I have evans g2's on my upper toms and the evans hydraulic on my floor tom to give a little meatier sound. I'm probably going to put hydraulics on the rest here soon to see how they sound. I will say this the hydraulics hold up real well.

User Info Menu

How can a kid inflict that much damage in a day? I never could manage to damage my heads, I think I hit too softly.
    Last edited by Russ; 04-25-2010 at 02:30 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I beat the heck out of a set of evans Hydraulics, 8, 10, 12, 13, 16(FT) and a 14" steel snare(Hydraulic batter). For 5 yrs w/stock reso's. Never failed me, or dented! I think I would like to try the Hydraulics on the reso sides and a single ply batter. That is the route I have chosen to explore. Best of luck on your choice! F/T

User Info Menu

I really want the blue one's, they would look good on my black set.
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

this might be a daft question but do you tune a hydraulic skin the same as a normal one considering they are oil filled? just bought an evans to try out and wanted to check first?
    cheers in advance guys..
    I have them and let me say they're just awesome heads. Yeah i do tune them equally as other heads (Try get batter and Reso equally tight).
    Just play with the heads until you get the sound you want

Here's my kit Hydraulic over Ambassador on the Rack tom and Hydraulic over Emperor on Floor tom.

Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

How do they sound in relation to pinstripes? I haven't used a Hyadraulic head in 30 years.

User Info Menu

Love the hydraulics. they give me that nice fat wet sound and a good deal of resonance too believe it or not if u tune em up.
    TAMAHOLIC