Thread: Am I missing out?

User Info Menu

Default Am I missing out?

The other day I bought a roland td-7 without mesh pads for 475 dollars. Not sure if I got a good deal or not but I had searched craigslist for about a month and that was the best deal I came across anyway..... by not having mesh pads am I missing out pretty big. Also by not having them do you think that I will not be as good on the acoustic(which I will rarely play as of right now do to apartment living). Thank you

KISSfan300

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I missing out?

KISSFan300-Great questions. I'll try to answer what I know. Back in the mid '80s (yes I'm old dude) I bought the Tama TechStar 5150 electric drum set (entry level highZ outs) and at that time the pads were basically a standard drum head 12" over a fairly cheap hard material backing that lay underneath the drum head. The hours I spent practicing on the pads created "tennis elbow" in my left arm from hitting the snare pad with little rebound action. No matter how dynamically (hitting soft) I played them, they never felt like the rebound from a acoustic drum head.

The acoustic drum head when struck, pushes air within the shell against the opposing head and that force will create the feel and bounce that helps with stick control and volumne dynamics.

Fast forward today and technology has leaped light years ahead and Roland offers the mesh style pads to emulate the physical characteristics of the acoustic head. Your question is as I read it: "Will buying the mesh pads help me play the accoustic set better when I get a chance to play one?" That's a tough one to answer with a definitive answer due to many other variables as in, your skill level, and goals as a drummer.

Can you afford the upgrade? Are you aiming to be a professional working drummer or playing just for fun? The Roland kits that I've sampled at my music store had the rubber and they felt great. Much better than my Tama's from the '80s.

Kudos for e-drum companies like Roland to develop great gear but for me, the feel of e-drums vs. real drums is apples to oranges comparison. My approach to e-drums is not to use them to substitute for acoustic drums (as many do because of circumstances like yours) but use them as another tool in our arsenal of weapons.
    Last edited by late8; 12-02-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KISSFan300 View Post
    The other day I bought a roland td-7 without mesh pads for 475 dollars. Not sure if I got a good deal or not but I had searched craigslist for about a month and that was the best deal I came across anyway..... by not having mesh pads am I missing out pretty big. Also by not having them do you think that I will not be as good on the acoustic(which I will rarely play as of right now do to apartment living). Thank you

KISSfan300
    In a word...no...you are not missing out (pretty big) by not having mesh head e-drums...mesh head drums are nice and they do feel better overall to rubber e-drums (and easier on the hands/limbs)...but they do not emulate acoustic drums (mylar head drums) as far as feel goes...they have a different feel to them than mylar heads and if anything the rubber pads may be better for you as far as transitioning goes between e-kits and a-kits...IMO..

User Info Menu

And don't forget about Pintech mesh when you go to upgrade. Much less expensive than Roland and compatible with Roland modules. You can get them in both single/dual zones and an even better buy off eBay. Most of my kits have been Pintech triggered and purchased used off eBay. Just another option if you want to step-up from the rubber pads. ABC

User Info Menu

My TD-9 kit has a mix of mesh and rubber heads.

I haven't upgraded the rubber heads to mesh because there's not that much difference (to me).

Certainly, the mesh heads look cooler and more realistic, but when playing I really don't notice the difference. The cymbals are a different story.

Going from e-drums to an acoustic kit is like going from practice pads to acoustic. You can build your repertoire on the e-drum, but the acoustic feel is much different and takes adjustment.

User Info Menu

Agree with all the above posts...

I have an e-kit with rubber pads. I personally think although the mesh pads look better, feel better and sound softer, the rubber pads have a more realistic feel to an acoustic kit. Anyone can critique me on that statement. I have played both and is just my personally opinion.

But yeah as jajo said, the acoustic feel is different and takes some adjustment. Electric kit is great for practice and expanding your chops vocabulary.

Basically you aren't missing out big time but what ever choice you do is up to you. All the best with it mate

User Info Menu

I like mesh for so many reasons, the main one being less shock to your hands/wrists.

Blessings...

User Info Menu

I like mesh for so many reasons, the main one being less shock to your hands/wrists.

Blessings...